Is there a smart box that would bring an older but quality tv further into the 21st century?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by spyder viewer, Feb 14, 2014.

1. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    I have need for a box to connect via hdmi to a Philips LCD and give it the ability to connect wirelessly to a network and thus the internet etc., so it can play iplayer or mpegs via a laptop? It doesn't have to be HD but it must be watchable. It can have or not have a hard drive. If this isn't the best place to ask (I know, I should know), let me know what forum.

Is this an example that would do the job? WD TV Live Streaming Media Player.

Regards and thanks for any advice.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  2. colonelblighty

colonelblighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    Not sure if the google chromecast might suit your needs or one of those cheapo now tv boxes

3. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,128
    Roku 3 will do wide range of internet media such as Youtube, Netflix, iPlayer etc, it can play some limited file formats via usb mainly H.264/mp4 or mkv along with wmv and jpg. You can use Plex media server on a PC to stream media to the Roku by adding the Plex channel to it, Plex server will auto convert any media making it play on the Roku.

The Sky NowTV is a variant of the Roku.

Chromecast is more a companion to a phone/tablet/PC where you do internet browsing on that and beam the video to the Chromecast.

WDTV Live is digital media player (avi,mp4,mpg,mkv etc) first and foremost which is it's main benefit, it has some limited online media support like Youtube, Netflix, iPlayer but thats about it and the UI isnt as slick as the Roku.

Android boxes - Android tablet OS re-purposed as set top box, quality varies in the extreme. Can be a usable media player for avi, mkv and so on plus the ability to use Android apps to access some content however as these are tablets apps compatibility is not always 100% and can be awkward to control as you need an air mouse, not all Android apps can be controlled via a normal remote.

Google supposedly have a more official AndroidTV platform coming later this year.

AppleTV v4 - rumoured to be coming soon and equipped with an app store (probably your best option).

So right now Roku I think would be the easiest to use option. AppleTV v4 will likely be the one to get all the best app (website) support, Google will likely accelerate AndroidTV if ATV4 takes off.