1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a room-shaking sub for under £500 to go with KEF Q5's?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by dAVefaulkner, Jun 8, 2005.

1. dAVefaulkner

dAVefaulkner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...or is that not too cheap?
    I'm inexperienced in subs and I'm finding it hard to find what I want for the price I want. Basically, I'm after decent room-shaking for movie effects.

My very friendly local dealer recommended and lent me an M&K KX10, which although was very good musically, I didn't feel added anything significant to what my Q5's can do and tended to sound a bit boomy (my partner got a headache - not a good result!). It may be because I couldn't/didn't know how to adjust it to sound right.

The dealer then lent me another sub at the top end of the range - just to give me a chance to hear what can ultimately be achieved - Velodyne DD12. Wow! Now that definitely achieved what I'm looking for and more! But, of course, it's too expensive (i.e. partner doesn't approve of the cost!).

I loved the way that you could tune it to your room, using the on-screen graphical display and built in 8-band parametric equaliser and get a (reasonably) flat response down to 15Hz!
    With the sub turned off, I was able to confirm that Kef were not lying about quoting the lower frequency response of the Q5's being -3dB@39Hz.

So, can anyone recommend a subwoofer that's much cheaper than the Velodyne but can still give me a decent frequency response between 15 and 40Hz? It doesn't need to have the fancy setup stuff built-in - perhaps I'll add this as a separate item later.

I see that BK's are highly regarded in these forums but do they achieve this deep bass (below what my Q5's can achieve?)

My dealer tends to suggest that I need to spend more to achieve what I'm looking for but I'd welcome any advice that suggests that this is not necessary.

Thanks

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    To go really deep like that you'll need to be looking at big units. Something like the BK Monolith or the SVS offerings would be a good place to start. :)

3. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    For under £500 I doubt you will get something that will extend to 15 hz.
    If you liked the DD12 it may be wort a look at some of the cheaper Velodyne offerings like the CH12-R @ £469 from AV-Sales.
    The BK Monolith is also showing potential and may be a good buy but little is known about it's performance yet.
    SVS are also worth a look. Your price limit will probably get you a 25-31 PCi or a PB12-ISD which both should offer good performance down to about 22 hz.

4. dAVefaulkner

dAVefaulkner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, many thanks for the speedy replies :thumbsup:
    I'll go and read up on the suggested models. Not sure how I'm going to audition them though, given that BK/SVS are only available mail order.
    Maybe I need to earn some more brownie points for some more money ;)
    I'm wondering if maybe the speaker itself doesn't need to go flat down to 15Hz, rather the in-room response is more important? My lounge/diner room size is about 13'x24' partitioned by a 6' wide arch.

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    To be perfectly honest, buying a subwoofer based purely on the criteria of it's lowest frequency isn't a good way to go about it as there are plenty of other important points to consider. Wanting a sub that goes deep is one thing but by no means the end of the story when there are distortion levels and feature-counts to name just a couple. :)

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is the relationship between subwoofer and room that is important. I doubt whether you will get 15Hz in room at under £500 but the closest would probably be the SVS PB-10 or the BK Monolith both at about £400.

Both should provide adequate sub 20Hz output and are probably the most cost effective solutions for you.

7. dAVefaulkner

dAVefaulkner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I understand eviljohn - it's just my slightly more significant criteria, having listened to two subs that sounded very different (the M&K seemed musically accurate but left me unimpressed as far as what I wanted in deepness while the Velodyne just did everything - it seriously shook the room as well as sounding musically accurate!) I have tried to decide what's more important to my requirements and I understand that I'm going to have to compromise (but hopefully not too much) on the other abilities/features based on my requirements.

Will the BK upset my TV (Panny 36PD30) if it sits almost next to it on the floor? The Velodyne did when I was positioning it but the TV recovered after I power-cycled it (to activate the degaussing)

Many thanks for your advice everyone. It sounds like I should take a listen to the suggested models and then decide whether they're OK or spend more or give up, hopefully not the latter :)

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The vast majority of subwoofer drivers are not shielded so may well cause you problems when placed next to your TV. The only company I can think of that shield their subs as a matter of course is Mordaunt Short so it may be worth considering the MS909 although it doesn't plumb the depths like the other models that have been suggested. :)

9. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It might be worth shortlisting the Sony SAW-X900. With 2 12" drivers and a 1KW amp it's a lot of sub for around £400. These aren't widely available in shops but aren't exclusively mail order, so there's a chance you could get a demo of it.

10. dAVefaulkner

dAVefaulkner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, Mroizouk. That's an interesting spec for such a low price! And it's available in maple too - good for the WAF! Thanks for your suggestion. Now I just need to check I've got room for it.

11. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    What about a secound hand Servo 15

12. av L

av L
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here,here !
    I purchased a "mint" second hand Servo 15,a couple of months ago for £450,as did my brother in law for slightly less,a few weeks before me & for the money.....You can't go wrong !!!!
    Keep an eye on the classifieds ! :D

13. dAVefaulkner

dAVefaulkner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I've been looking at that one. Unfortunately, it probably won't fit in the space I've been allocated (by the wife!). I believe it's 18w*20h*22.5d inches? I saw one pass by on ebay last week from Richer Sounds. The one that's looking favorable (and approved!) is the SVS PB10-ISD - a mere (!) 15.5w*19h*21d

14. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure what the price is, but have you had a look at the Kef PSW 2500? I auditioned a Kef setup not too long ago and that had the PSW 2500 hooked up. Did not sound half bad.

15. dAVefaulkner

dAVefaulkner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About £260 from HiFiBitZ. A nice recommendation, thanks alphabet. This was one of the first ones I was looking at - very nice WAF. However, this forum indicates the XLS200 as a better option (see here). It didn't look impressive on paper either: KEF quotes the -3db bottom end as being 33Hz; while my Q5's are rated as -3db @39Hz - alot of money for 6Hz!

I've finally decided on the SVS PB10 and placed an order yesterday; it seems to best fit my criteria for my £500 budget and has had WAF approval (from the small picture I showed her :devil: ) - fingers crossed that it achieves what I'm after. Obviously, I'm not expecting it to be as good as the DD12 but hopefully good enough for me.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and help. I've spent hours and hours searching these forums and reading reviews to build up confidence in various opinions but it was still easier than trying to locate the various products from local shops and trying before buying - that would have taken more time than house-hunting! :)

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you have heard a few of the offerings available in your price range I think that you will be pleasantly surprised at what the PB-10 can do as it is a class above most other subs in that price range.