Is There A Reset Key

louishm

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My 1 year old has just found out how to climb on the chairs, and after finding him playing with my blue tooth keyboard today my safari has been reset (bookmarks/history etc.) + other things like the dock/screen saver/energy savings.
Just wondering if there was a number of keys he has hit in sequence that would do such a thing.

thanks
paul

I don't think there's a very plausible short sequence of keys. menu>Safari>Reset Safari shouldn't lose your bookmarks, although it does clear history.

:devil: ooh no; I did it in 3 keystrokes: L enter <any key> while viewing your home folder in the Finder is capable of renaming, and thus hiding the contents of, ~/Library.

bookmarks and history are in ~/Library/Safari. Check he hasn't renamed this path (causing a new one to be created).

If that's not it:
Check hard disk isn't full.
Look in trash.
Check you're not now logged in as a different user!

...out of ideas

thanks for the reply, i have just found in the safari menu there is a reset which clears all cache/history/cookies removes any names or passwords etc.

think this might be it

thanks for the reply, i have just found in the safari menu there is a reset which clears all cache/history/cookies removes any names or passwords etc.

think this might be it

You mentioned bookmarks. I don't think reset touches your bookmarks; there's also no keyboard shortcut for it, so (a) your son would have to type <ctrl-F2> <right arrow> <down arrow> x 7 <enter> and (b) your bookmarks would still be there.

To make quite clear my suggestion: If the front window was your home folder, then the Library folder could be selected by pressing L or by pressing arrow keys. If the ENTER key (bottom right) is then pressed, you begin to edit the name of the folder formerly called Library. If ENTER is pressed again, then the folder is renamed, and numerous settings become invisible to your applications.

Since this can all be done with keys at the bottom right of the keyboard (arrow, 0 and ENTER) it seems a likely scenario. The system would later recreate the missing Library folder, leaving the real Library folder named something like 0.00. If your son succeeded in naming it beginning with "." then it would be invisible in the Finder too. That would also be easy to do.

You will need to use Applescript or terminal.app to retrieve your settings in the invisible case.

To see your invisible files in the Finder, open terminal.app (in Applications>Utilities), and type:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

then restart the finder (option-click dock icon to select relaunch)

You would then see your renamed real Library

same trick with NO to hide files again.

think this might be it as i found the library folder on the desktop when he had finished

think this might be it as i found the library folder on the desktop when he had finished
Throw away the new one that's been made in your home folder, and put the real one back. This will have affected your email and lots of other things too; not just bookmarks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom