1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a remote..............

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by SOUNDSTYLE, Aug 29, 2005.

1. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    ........which is similar to the Harmony range, but has a touch screen, uses the internet to download the info for each remote you want to control, but this is the big question...

Is there a remote which shows the exact layout onscreen, for each remote you want this remote to control.

For example 1: The SKY remote. I press 'Device' button, press the 'sky' button and I instantly see an exact copy of the 'SKY' remote on screen.

Example 2: Toshiba 330E dvd player remote. I press 'Device' button, press 'DVD' button, and I instantly see an exact copy of the remote for the Tosh dvd player.

If some of the buttons are too small, or not in the exact position you want, then they can be adjusted online.

Wouldn't that make it so much easier for the user, and so easy to do, or would there be problems with copyright etc.?

2. czzer

czzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I think it makes much more sense to always have the same buttons in the same place. ie, wether you're watching TV, listening to CD, watching DVD or whatever, the Play button is always in the same spot, the Volume control is always in the same spot etc. Much easier to memorise one layout, than 6 different remote's layouts. That's the biggest advantage a hard button remote has over a touchscreen.

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Problem is as well that you need a pretty big touchscreen to show all the buttons on a hard remote.

For example, the Sky+ remote has IIRC 46 buttons on it - to reproduce all the buttons on something like a Pronto or, like I have, on a pocket PC and still make them all large enough to use means using more than one 'page' of buttons on the remote.

John

4. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I guess if you really do want it to look 'just like the origial remote' you would need either a pronto / marantz or a universal remote MM3000 (the one I use). You could then use the software that comes with each one to download the codes for each button from the net, then using either the software itself or something like Photoshop, make custom buttons for each device that mimics the original remote.

It would take some time, and to be honest from a usability pont of view I tend to agree with czzer. This is the main benefit of having a COMPLETELY customizable remote - use the great software that comes with these remotes to make it work for you - it's often better than the original remote layout by far.

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Whilst I've got my Pocket PC running Pronto CCF's for all my gear, I often find I use the original remotes far more often.

For example, I can pretty much use the Sky+ remote without even looking at it, something I can't do with the Pocket PC.

John

6. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    To counter this, with the Philips TSU7000 (imported RU980) I use, it has 17 hard buttons on it which are customisable. This satifies most of the easy things to do, but still leaves me the flexibility of having the screen to do whatever I want to contol the equipment how I want to. I have all my 6 other remote sitting in the cupboard, never to be used again. My DVD player one is even in its original packaging, with batteries still shrink wrapped :eek: :smashin:

Cheers

Andy

7. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    That's what I find with the remotes I have now. I can use them all without looking, but as I have nine remotes at the moment, and don't like the Harmony 655 (I don't like where the 'play', 'stop', 'pause' etc. buttons are placed at the bottom of the remote) I was just wondering if there was a remote which I explained about above.

I think I've come to the conclusion that I might just stick with the remotes I have at the moment, and just have the main ones out, which I use more often.