Is there a reliability issue with Philips ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by daveyb, Sep 4, 2004.

1. daveyb

daveyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys

I'm on the point of buying a DVD recorder and I'm considering either the Philips DVDR70 or Panny E55. My main concern is the reliability of the machine more than the format. I will be recording for use in other machines that are dotted around the house ie Kids room etc.
    I have heard that the earlier Philips models 880 etc had problems, but what about the DVDR70 ??.
    The Philips is the cheaper machine on the high st, but is this false economy :) .

Hope you can advise

2. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the early Philips models were about as reliable as an 80's Skoda but the question of which to buy (Panasonic or Philips) goes much deeper than that.

Look for threads about these machines, they helped me out in the past :lesson: and I went for the Panasonic. Admittedly I've had to send it back as it had errors but I'm the exception in this case. All my friends had Philips and they've swapped theirs on the long run!

3. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As long as your recorder is not Philips you should be ok.There is no advantage to buying a DVD+ recorder.DVD- does the job just as well and also lets you choose from a variety of quality manufacturers,not just el cheapo Far Eastern import crap.

4. William123

William123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I had almost a full year of untold misery with my Philips 70.

It finally gave up the ghost when the front panel display went awol, sent it back under warranty (again) to Philips, along with a list of other malfunctions.

I'd have been better sending it off to an upholsterers, as all Philips did was to replace the remote control.

Got a Panasonic and have never looked back.