Is there a reason Xbox live doesnt do MMO

Courtjezter

Distinguished Member
This thought occured to me earlier.
Why are their no, except 1 vs 100 and texas hold em, MMO's for the xbox?

I saw a traile for DC online earlier, and i remebered that Champions online was meant to come out for the 360. But that got canned. I just wondered if it was down to the potential of being charged twice to play. What i mean by this is i pay my gold subscription and then i, potentially, would pay a subscription to the mmo or pay microtransactions which MS wouldnt get any revenue from.

Just a thought, and why are there no really good super hero games either? I want to be able to create a character from scratch and then let my actions decide what type of powers he evolves. Oh well i can keep dreaming.

VivaFathom

There is FF11 and Phantasy star Online and i believe there was news of a F2P game coming to xbox live.

This is just my opinion but i dont think they really want to support MMO because they don't want people to stay with one product for years, they want xbox players to buy lots of different games every year.

turk3y

I would assume these subs and micro transactions would be for M$ points so they would get thier cut, or rather take their cut when handing out the proceeds to the MMO people. Perhaps they wont accept only 70% (or whatever it is) of the pie,

DAZ UK 74

Distinguished Member
Maybe its down to the server load. Think of all the people using Live around the world. Then look at something like WOW with its millions of subscribers and $100 million yearly running costs. Now put the million of those players with the millions of other players and you could see the issue.

Lag would rise to unacceptable levels on games like BFBC2/COD. MMO's run ok with pings in the 100's but it would be bad for first person shooters and sports games. MS would have to install alot more servers to cope which costs money. In the very early days of the 360 Blizzard said they where looking at bringing WOW to the console. However a year or so later they said it wasnt viable to do so.

If you look at the new Battlefield 3 game, on the PC only they are doing 64 player mp games. However on the 360 its limited to 32.

Fuey_fu

I heard before it was to do with Microsoft's strict limits on patch sizes and the need to be certified, mmo's tend to have frequent and large patches and the way xbox live is set up is not very conducive to that.

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
I still feel the answer to the title of this thread should be something along the lines of 'because it's not run by Carlsberg?' :D

VivaFathom

I heard before it was to do with Microsoft's strict limits on patch sizes and the need to be certified, mmo's tend to have frequent and large patches and the way xbox live is set up is not very conducive to that.

Possibly but theres no limit on manual updates. I can only think of Burnout Paradise as an exmple but i'm sure theres more, that game had a patch over 1gig.

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
Possibly but theres no limit on manual updates. I can only think of Burnout Paradise as an exmple but i'm sure theres more, that game had a patch over 1gig.

Was that patch not a patch with free DLC i.e. extra cars/bikes or something too?

The Script KID

This thought occured to me earlier.
Why are their no, except 1 vs 100 and texas hold em, MMO's for the xbox?

They also like to sell a rather popular OS to another platform that has the largest users of MMOs.

DJSigma

Banned
I used to love 1 vs 100, really miss it :(
Me too. I like the poker game too, but I would much rather have 1 Vs. 100 back.

Xbox Live is rather locked down in terms of what developers can and can't do and also what they must do, which has positives and negatives. One or two of the MMOs that were canned on the 360 were canned because the developer couldn't come to an agreement with MS on how it would run - not in terms of the payment side of things, but the other technical stuff.

The fact that there has been MMOs on the 360, including the first and only free to play MMO on a console to date, shows that it can be done, but to get more of them on the system MS would have to relax some of their policies or the companies involved would have to tailor their games to work on Xbox Live, which they're clearly not willing to do in some cases.

There's an open world MMO zombie game coming to Xbox Live from a company called Undead Labs. I think this is their first game, but the studio is made up of devs from teams that worked on games such as Diablo and Guild Wars, so it could be good! They're going to release a 2 player co-op Xbox Live version that's codenamed class3, then they're going to use some of the player feedback from that to refine the MMO that's currently codenamed class4.

LeeDicko

It used to be our Friday and Saturday night sorted for me and my partner, she was heavily pregnant so we were limited what we could do, so we used to spend all night on 1vs100.

It was pretty much the only game we didn't mind playing together!

My highlight was getting in the 100 (although getting kicked out after about 4 questions for getting it wrong!) and coming 2nd in the overall standings!

Come back 1vs100....

Courtjezter

Distinguished Member
It used to be our Friday and Saturday night sorted for me and my partner, she was heavily pregnant so we were limited what we could do, so we used to spend all night on 1vs100.

It was pretty much the only game we didn't mind playing together!

My highlight was getting in the 100 (although getting kicked out after about 4 questions for getting it wrong!) and coming 2nd in the overall standings!

Come back 1vs100....

I enjoyed it too.

What was going on with those silly moves you could do, i could never figure out what they were for.

I also got into the 100 once and even won a prize, i think it was an indie game and 80 ms points or something like that.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom