Is there a rear projection tv which can match a plasma ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Napoleon, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking for a large tv for dvds,to compliment my 36" widescreen,used for general use.I saw a Panny THPW3 (plasma) and i have to say i was very impressed;good detail,colour balance and contrast range,blacks etc.Is there a rear pro,perhaps a large Hitachi which can match it ?.I never seem to get an opportunity to test one against the other given the woeful set-up in shops.Seeing a 42" screen is truly cinematic,even compared to a 36",so i'm hoping a rear pro,without plasma weaknesses might be the answer.Any thoughts appreciated.

2. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well, some might ask "Is there a Plasma which can match a good projection TV?"

I compared a Thomson Plasma with a Panasonic rptv which were showing the same DVD. Robert De Niro looked 10 years younger on the plasma beacause it could not render fine details. The plasma looked like it was showing a DivX compressed version of the same movie.

Plasma is getting better by every generation, but the resolution is a little bit too low and blacklevel could be better.
    And the prices are still too high for the PQ you're getting...

3. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    think Tomas is correct...Is there a plasma which can match a good r/p set..?
    I havn't seen one..

4. NeilS

NeilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The Panasonic plasma makes all RP TVs that I've seen look really grainy and out of focus.

I've yet to see a RP set that doesn't suffer badly from viewing hot spots which is a real problem with my seating arrangements.

Neil

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,231
    Napoleon

If you are happy with your 36" CRT TV for general viewing and jumping up to a 42" plasma is not an option due to 'Plasma limitations' - though from my perspective if you see the latest Panasonic TH-42PWD4EX I think you may have a rethink on going for a plasma - then would a projector and screen for those 'truly cinematic' moments not be the answer.

Stick with the 36" Widescreen TV for general viewing and spend £2 - £3K on a good LCD/DLP and wall mounted screen combination and get a really big cinema image.

Just a thought.

Best regards.

Joe

6. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new Panny 42" Plasma and also the Pioneer 43" is looking awesome.

If i had the money i would not hesitate to buy the Pioneer 50" 503HDE Plasma.

You can't buy better for money today.

Go look at them and make your own mind up.

Plasma is the way to go if you can afford it.

7. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the comments.I think plasma is probably the way to go,but i do get concerned reading about the contrast dropping noticeably after a certain amount of usage.The new DLP rear pro's are supposed to be something very special,and hopefully they will make an appearance reasonably soon.Projectors,(lcd) don't seem able to get the contrast range up to worthwhile level,but the new lcos may change that.A review of the Hitachi LCOS is in next months what tv/video.I don't mind waiting a while,so sooner or later i'll probably get to my cinematic heaven.My 36" (36PF10) is a hell of a good tv,and i have no regrets whatsoever about getting it.All i need is the BIG one for dvds :)

8. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I went to my local Home Cinema shop the other day where the sales man gave me a demo of The Fifth Element on a 50" Plasma. As he gave me the sales pitch he said RPTV's could not deliver the same detail and contrast range as the plasma but I couldn't bring myself to tell him that I was a proud owner of a 46" Toshiba which could and for a considerable amount less. The Plasma was £10,000, you can get my RPTV for £1800. Was the difference in picture quality worth the extra £8200? No way. Are Plamsas good? Yes, good for hanging on the wall, good for saving space, good for clearing out you bank account. Plasmas are developing quickly so a £10,000 plasma bought today may cost £7000 next year £5000 the year after and so on. Not a good investment by any standards. If youve got the space get a RPTV from a quality retailer and save yourself packet.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,231
    BadAss

Your dealer must be selling Gold Plated Plasma - for example:

Panasonic TH-42PWD4EX - £4.099,78
    Panasonic TH-50PHD30 - £7,810.91
    Pioneer PDP-503MXE - £6,073.87

As you say though RPTV is much less expensive and a more mature product but not the ideal solution for everyone - neither is Plasma; you have to make decisions based upon personal circumstances.

I doubt any of us can justify purchasing high quality AV as a good investment - try selling any make or model second hand.

Napoleon

The manufacturers are quoting a half life of 25-30,000 hours - that's if you drive the panel at full brightness for 25,000 continuous hours - which is a lot of DVD's and SKY digital.

Happy viewing.

Regards

Joe

10. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Any from the TOSHIBA range.

Panasonic are OK BUT Sony are AWFUL.

Too early & expensive to invest in flaky Plasmas, best wait a few years.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,231
    Kevo

What's flaky in a plasma display? - we have been selling plasma since 1998 and I can 100% say they are the most reliable products we have every sold.

They have limitations, like most technology, and are still relatively highly priced but look at a well set up 42" Panasonic display and tell me you could not live with that at home.

Best regards

Joe

[email protected]

12. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    OK, maybe 'flaky' was a bit harsh.

I've heard many reports of pixels failing although I do think that the technology will improve in time. I just feel it's too 'new' to invest in.
    The lack of RGB SCARTS and Digital Tuners on most models also needs addressing.

13. NeilS

NeilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Funny how everyone's heard reports about pixels dropping out and unacceptable reductions in brightness over time but has anyone actually experienced any of these themselves?

I've only hear of one plasma with dead pixels and that was reported on here - faulty from new.

As for a lack of RBG scarts - who wants them when you can have DVI?

Why do so many people knock plasmas when they have no experience of them? They may be expensive but that doesn't make them bad.

14. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Neil, I do belive that Plasma is the future in TV-technology. I have seen quite a few and there are many BAD plasma TV:s on sale today. One really bad plasma is the 32" Hitachi platara which is one of the worst TV:s I have ever seen. All categories included. Washed out picture due to very poor black-levels. I have seen the latest NEC and it is much better, i would even call it good, but not even close to a 36" Panasonic or the 40" Loewe.

I do believe that ppl who really cares about picture quality (HT ppl) will probably not choose Plasma in the near future, there are better and cheaper alternatives. But for ppl that just want a new TV, Plasma will be the #1 chioce. Nothing wrong in that.

15. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To answer your question why many people knock plasma off is because the can't afford it and would love to have a 50" Plasma on their wall.

That's a fact.

Im pretty neutral in this matter.

I think plasma is good if you buy one of the better plasmas.

I do agree that the Hitachi 32" looks horrible.

The best you can buy today for a 42" is the Panasonic.

It's is good! really good!

Nec 42MP3 is great also.

But one rule you should follow is to buy the latest generation you can afford as it differ som much.

However, if you can't afford a good plasma and you want big picture and the best quality you should go for a really good RPTV.

I recommend Toshibas latest, i didnt like Sony's, it looked very dim.

No question, the Toshibas are the best today.

Personally i dont like CRT tubes TVs, they are too bulky and you don't get anything back from it in enjoyment.

A RPTV is big enough to give you the cinematic feel.

The plasmas are also good, but buy at least a 50" plasma if you can afford.

Projectors? projectors are very special, i wouldnt want to watch the news on a projector every evening.
    So, projectors are out of the question here for this purpose.

But get it! everyone will have a plasma sooner or later anyway as its the future of television, RPTV, CRT tubes are all technology between the transitions.

16. MattB

MattB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Where have you guys seen the NEC 42MP3? This one is top of my shortlist for 42" panels but I have not found anywhere with one on show.

Joe, is that a typo or are you really selling the Pioneer 503MXE for £6073.87 inc vat? If so I may just have to get my credit card out;-)
    Seriously, at that price who would buy the 43"?

Has anyone seen the Pioneer 503MXE side by side with a Fujitsu 5001/2? For me, the Fujitsu in the Arcam room at Bristol was the star of the show.

17. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I checked their website and its the PDP-433HDE he wants around £6000

But he said PDP-503MXE for £6000 so.....

18. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,231
    Matt

Apologies I should have said:

Pioneer PDP-503MXE - £6,868.40 incl VAT.

Best regards

Joe

PS It's still a bargain!