Answered Is there a quick way of determining if HDMI cables are 2.0 by examining them?

fatbustard

Novice Member
I have just bought a 4K compatible AV and I have an enormous amount of HDMI cables accumulated over the years. Is there a quick way of determining which are HDMI 2 and which are older by looking at them? I would like to label the HDMI 2 ones. Thanks

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'is there a quick way of determining which are HDMI 2 and which are older by looking at them?' - Yes.

You can label all of them as NOT being HDMI.anything.

HDMI cables are either Certified (Ultra High Speed, Premium High Speed, High Speed, Standard) or not Certified.

All that really matters is that you plug them in and they work or they don't work.

Joe

HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 1.4 :: Finding the Right Cable

spj

Standard Member
In a similar position as the OP: trying to do a tidy up of gear and associated cabling and wires etc.

Looking at the link Joe F helpfully posted above but still not sure if there's a way to tell from the wire itself - as opposed to for example the (long-disposed of) packaging in which it came - if it is high speed or not. I'm pretty sure some of mine are, but I don't have the packaging so can't be sure what's what.

Apart from trial and error (which isn't readily practical in my case given equipment positioning) are there any other pointers on how to establish the designated HDMI type of a particular cable?
Cheers

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'are there any other pointers on how to establish the designated HDMI type of a particular cable?' - unless the Manufacturer has decided to over-stamp the cable stock or HDMI connectors of a particular cable assembly with a verifiable Certification stamp there is no way to know if a cable meets a particular certification and even then plenty of OEM cable assembly suppliers will stick whatever label you want on cables if you purchase enough of them.

Keep on testing.

Joe