Is there a PVR that records in a format readable from a PC?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by mcompton69, Dec 28, 2004.

Tags:
  1. mcompton69

mcompton69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I want a set top box DVB PVR that I can pull the hard drive out of and plug it into my PC and read the files from it.

Does one exist?

PS - I already have a DVB card for my PC but it is very buggy and faulty and I want to go the set top box route.

thanks for any help.

2. TommyT

TommyT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I THINK that the sigmatek PVR (800 maybe) MAY do this sort of thing. It has a caddy that can store 2 * 80 GB HDD. As far as I know..(although do not have one) you can simply swap in and out. It seems to record as mpeg 2...but it a DivX player etc

Hope it works out for you.

Cheers,
    Tommy

I saw it on pixmania...which is cheaper than the ones i saw on ebay.

3. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Don't some PVR's come with firewire ports - would you be able to transfer data across with such boxes?

4. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    The December issue of Digital Satellite Choice has a review of an interesting satellite PVR, the Kaon KVR-1000plus. It has a USB 2.0 port, giving your PC direct access to the hard drive in the receiver, and video can be streamed via an ethernet port. No need to remove the HDD to transfer files, even though it is actually in a removable caddy. Oh, and the receiver has twin tuners and can record up to 6 channels simultaneously. Another Kaon PVR with a USB 2.0 port is reviewed in the latest issue of Tele Satellite International.

Hopefully a sign of things to come in DTT PVRs and HDD DVDRs.

5. mcompton69

mcompton69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Nick - Shame there is no DVD recording facility on the SiGMATek but that is not essential - I can use the existing one in my PC. No DVB tuner either.

http://www.sigmatekcomputer.com/products.php?p=pvr800

It does surprise me that there is no DVB PVR with either removeable HDD or a built in DVD+/-R drive - The DVB-T streams that are transmitted are already in DVD compatable MPEG2 video with MPEG layer 2 48kHz 192kbs audio and can be be burnt straight to DVD or put onto a PC - no convertion necessary.

Again, satellite receivers are ahead of DVB tuners it seems because they more compatable with the different regions of the world, whereas DVB-T is EU only :(

thanks again, keep 'em coming :)