Is there a PVR for me?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Stereo Steve, Jul 14, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm looking into getting either a freeview box (Sony) and keeping my Panasonic E50 DVDR or getting rid of the E50 and getting a DTT PVR. I've been looking around and can't seem to see any that fulfill my criteria, which are:

1.Twin tuners
    2. Very quiet operation
    3. Slick and bug free operation
    4. Use of official Freeview 7 day RPG

What I want is the functionality and ease of use of Sky+ but with freeview. All the boxes I investigate either crash a lot, make a lot of noise or are slow in operation.

Any comments? At the moment I'm erring to the side of just getting an STB until the PVR market has developed a bit. Trouble is, a DVDR is not the easiest thing for timeshifting, especially when another box is involved. In fact, I don't bther like I used to with Sky+.

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    After the next update (to fix issues created by the last update) Pace Twin

3. woody123

woody123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've similar requirements as you plus in addition I want a digital out plus an RS-232 port for the know doubt needed updates. I'm holding out for the Panasonic TUCHT1000 - I think August is the "revised" arrival time.

4. MattB

MattB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    And a working TUTV slot. Also in next Pace update?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Surely TU will have gone tits up before the next pace update?

6. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Probly. Not interested anyway in a load of half channels.

I think I'll wait for the panasonic to come out and see how that is. In the meantime I'll probably get an STB. I'm not convinced by the twin as the Pace Sky+ box was buggy and unreliable and I'll be buying this thing outright.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I think you may be judging the twin a bit harshly, I have one, and I supply them regularly. Personally I have no real problems with mine and the latest upgrade, it was fairly scewy when it was 1st upgraded, but seems to have settled down now. I have left all my customers on October software though...

8. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Maybe I need to try one out. Any idea of stores that carry them? Do Comet and Currys do them? I'd just like to see how slick the interface is first. Not too worried about massive hard drive space. One thing that does attract me is the 2.5"Hdd which is what I use in my work PC@s to keep noise and heat down.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I don't know anywhere that demos them, but I'd think someone here would help you out, where are you, someone will volunteer. I'd be happy to let you play with mine, I'm in Cobham, Surrey.

10. Ang

Ang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't think there was an official freeview EPG yet... I thought it was still in testing. Anyway, I have the Fusion FVRT100 and I love it. It currently uses the 7-day EPG from 4TV. It has twice the disk space as the Pace Twin, which is why I waited for it. A few people have reported glitches, but it seems less than the Thomson DHD4000 and much less than older versions of Pace Twin software, from what I understand.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No there isn't an epg for 7 days yet, pace has 4 days currently the official one. For Steve, the fusion is lacking a few features in his list. A good PVR, just not what he's asking for. What he wants is a fully working pace twin. I think he needs to decide if the twin is working well enough or not.

12. Ang

Ang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't been able to ascertain that the Panasonic TUCHT1000 will be twin tuner though - does anyone know? It's rumoured to be coming onto Unbeatable web site tomorrow.

Humax' twin tuner (9000T) has just recently appeared on the Humax UK web site stating release around end of this year. I think I've read that the 8000T is quiet, so guessing the 9000T will be also.

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

SKY+ of course runs SKY writen software so perhaps not a fair comparison when viewed against a proper PACE designed and built STB with their OS.
    The quality of the software is an issue for me and has put me off buying a HD Freeview box, I have been waiting for the FVRT100 but would rather buy it from a high street store and not online.
    Never had these worries with a VCR, I suppose having the ability to update the software has made all the manufacturers careless with their code:(

14. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm in deepest Devon I'm afraid. I can't think of any mates who got one. I reckon the Panasonic is being held up until the EPG is up and running as they are not know for doing firmware updates on the fly.

For the time being I'm looking at a Thomson DTI1000 freeview STB that will give me more time to contemplate and see the Panasonic (hopefully in action) and then it can move upstairs once the PVR comes along.

I will consider the Twin carefully as there are a few owners on here who's comments I respect.

I would like to know what size (2.5/3.5) HDD the Panasonic has as I think a 3.5" is just too big and hot for such a device. I'm paranoid about ambient noise and have never found a 3.5" drive that's quiet enough for my main work PC.

15. Ang

Ang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Seems decidedly beatable to me then. Wonder if the spec is still to be confirmed owing to software difficulties? Just a guess. Pace have been in this longer than anyone else, they are not more stupid, it's just hard. And despite the horror stories here, it's not all bad, the thing works, personally I do not believe the picture quality has changed, and I'm sure I'd notice, being allegedly professional (custom install co.) and having a very large picture by projection to notice it with. I think it's likely that Pace will rule the roost for some time yet, no new model will be glitch free.

17. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, you're probably right. THere are too many questions for me to just order the Panasonic yet. I've decided to go for a Nokia 221T STB for now and see how the market develops. Once the whole 7 day EPG and TUTV thing has settled down, I'll make a descision.

I've also had another look at TUTV and I suppose I may want to go that way in the future as it has Discovery and UKGold in the evenings and I do watch H+L at the mo (my sky sub has a couple weeks to run). So, although I won't take it up immediately, I wouldn't want to deny myself that option in the future. The thing is with channels like H+L is that they repeat stuff all the time so you would likely be able to grab stuff with a PVR even if it was on while you were working.

18. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    By the way, the Panasonic is supposed to have 'an external link for backing up to DVD-RAM or DVD-R'. Any ideas what form this will take and wether it'll be PC compatible? I have a Panasonic DVDR and it doesn't have any fancy inputs for such a thing.

19. Johnnyg37

Johnnyg37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Before deciding on the Twin, you should be aware that Pace are withdrawing from the Freeview market due to low profit margins. See www.idtv.co.uk.
    This may or may not affect Pace's future commitment to upgrading the Twin.

20. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Article is locked out - please copy to here!

21. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Another feature i'd like to add to the list would be component output and perhaps an 80GB HDD like the current HDD/DVD-R machines have.

22. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yeah, component out would be good.

The new Panasonic does not seem to exist except in the minds of the people taking advance orders. There is absolutely no mention of it on the Panasonic UK site and I can't find any detailed spec anywhere.

For instance, does it have a cam slot for tutv? What is this mysterious digital output to backup straight to dvdr? I'm guessing it's firewire but will it only work with similarly equipped panasonic dvd recorders? Or, can I plug it into my laptop and stream it to my main PC upstairs?

Guess I'll just have to wait and see.