1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a problem with my AVR300?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by parrydave, Aug 26, 2004.

1. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sky+ box linked to my AVR300 via optical digital. On PLIIx it can sound great (btw my AVR300 doesn't have the latest s/w). However, last night I noticed that on a couple of channels (most notable Discovery H+L) that all my sound was coming out of the centre speaker only. Also the same with the music that plays whilst in EPG.

I know that high compression on some digital channels can result in fairly poor PLII sound, but I've always managed to get some kind of speaker separation at least.

Everything else works fine, 5.1 movies from Movie channels, most other PCM channels. just a handful seem to be causing a problem. Even music on programme titles and adverts all comes from the centre channel, with just that "squelchy" distortion noise from the others (compression artefact I believe?). Switching to PLIIx MUSIC brings all speakers into the mix fine.

I am sure that I used to get better PLIIx effect on these channels. Can anyone with similar setup confirm that they get better decoding?

Is it a problem with my reciever?
    I am positive that all cables and Sky settings are correct.

many thanks

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I will check later today with my more knowledgeable colleagues at work to confirm this answer, but the chances are that the channels you mention are transmitting in glorious mono. That leaves the decoder nothing to work on, so sound comes out of the centre channel only as it must (that's what you do in PL IIx movie mode when the L and R channels carry an identical signal).

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

3. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John, thanks for prompt reply.

I understand that a mono signal would cause this effect with PLIIx, but when I switch from PLIIx MOVIES to MUSIC all channels spring into life!

Would this happen with a mono signal?

many thanks.

4. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The mono signal in movie mode will just go to just the centre channel, just as in the old Pro Logic days - that's how it's meant to be. The system assumes if it is mono panned dead centre then it is dialogue, so sound only comes out of the centre (dialogue) channel.

OTOH you don't really want this happening with music so Dolby set up the parameters differently here. That's one reason it is called "Music Mode".

Everything is as it should be :)

John Dawson (Arcam)

5. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    phew!
    That is good news.

Great to know you guys are on hand to answer questions etc.

Thanks for your help.