Is there a point to getting a Edifier speaker that ranks higher than the s350db?

NewbieAudiophile

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody - hope that you're all doing well!

So I've recently gotten into the 'audiophile' space and have purchased a few decent things, including the s350DB 2.1 speaker system which I connect to my pc via the optical port.

Now the music sounds really good, but something that's missing from this speaker is the hi-res audio certification and can 'only' play audio from my pc at 48khz/24bit sample rate.

Do you all think that I would notice a difference with a more expensive set of edifier speakers like the s3000pros with 192/24 bit audio?

I really like the s350db from edifier, they sound amazing, but I sort of feel an 'addiction' to purchase something a bit more 'up there', if you catch my drift... and the s3000pros can be found for 600ish AUD on sale...

What are your thoughts?

No it's all bs. Just to be clear, it's not your speaker that can't play hi res, it's the dac on your speaker that can't convert it, but still it's all bs, cd was, is fantastic when done right and that's less that 48hz/24bit

Yeah I also have a BTR5 and a pair of Sennheiser's hd560s and i can't tell the difference between even 44.1/16 and 48/24, although i'll say that the audio sounds much better on the Sennheiser's than on say sony noise cancelling headphones, since their really good at reproducing sound accurately.

Do you think that the amp in the edifier s350db is sufficiently enough to play a stream from the BTR5 that's been converted from 192/24 into analog via the rca/aux plugins?

Just find all of this audio stuff really interesting so i thought to join up on here and see what you all think and i'll tell you what the marketing does work on me... lol

Last edited:
The more bits that you're dac converts in theory gives you better analogue. Your amp just increases the better signal, so all amps can play the very best analogue or the highest dac conversions.

You could plug the dac that converts higher res in and try feed it high res music and your existing speakers the 48hz 24bit.

To answer your question directly, there'll always be a better amp and speakers. If you are concerned about getting the very best for your money you might be better served broadening you're criteria outside of just the next edifier models up, but if you're happy with what you have I'd leave it as it can be a very big rabbit hole.

Yeah thanks for clearing that up - it's kinda obvious now that we think about it, since the amp does just amplify an existing signal, but yeah I think that i should be fine for now in terms of audio.

Anything that produces substantially better audio would be way more expensive anyway.... and use like aa class A amp, not class D lol

So i've went ahead and purchased a Panasonic UB420 UHD player that will go well with my Samsung QLED and soundbar!

1st will I hear the difference with higher bit rate files?
Very unlikely in my opinion, especially with those speakers.

2nd: S3000 pro will sound noticeably (much)better than s350db with or without high res files.

So, it would be a good upgrade if you're craving for more sound quality.

I have s350db and even though I can hear they aren't perfect, I do appreciate the sound coming from them, there is something special to it.
Metal doesn't sound good through them, Synthwave sounds great...in general some mids are less pronounced due to the high crossover which can affect some genres more than others.

I connected laptop via USB to Shiit Modi 3+ and from it RCAs to speakers. I try to listen FLAC when I can. I did notice that some MP3 files can sound better than some FLAC files and it's not all in the bitrate. DAC inside them is also pretty good.

Try enjoying music and think less of the highres.

And just a note on the speaker placement, many buy s350db for computer and put the woofer under the table, or worse inside the furniture piece. Due to the nature of high crossover that doesn't work good EVER, and it is a herecy to use these speakers like that.

Another herecy is to listen Music via Bluetooth...aptX is a gimmick to me, very quiet and bad quality, these speakers expose all the bad in recordings.

Having gone through some of this with the aforementioned unit, I can say with pretty much high confidence and experience, at the money, the S350db is hard to beat.

I've gone down an entirely different rabbit hole as my requirements list grew after testing this unit, but had it not, i'd be happy with the S350.

Yeah, I managed to get the s350dbs for only $300 AUD on sale, so i'm extremely happy with the purchase - much better than the logitech z623s, and even those are still a GREAT pair of speakers...

I'm hoping to get the s3000pros when they're on sale for <$600 and plug them into my macbook pro via the USB input, and pc via the optical.

Hehe i already making plans and fantasising like a young man in love for the first time.

Hi,

For a while, I was also experimenting with "HiRes" music, trying different DACs and so on, before eventually becoming disillusioned. My own feeling was that mastering was more important, but only when talking about CD quality or higher (not MP3s). For example, I bought a "HiRes" download (24bit/96Khz) of an EP by a band I like. I already owned the CD and the vinyl (let's just say I'm a big fan). After many years of listening, I cannot tell the difference between the CD and HiRes. Both are mastered to be "loud", clipping and compressed. This has been verified by analysing the ripped CD files and HiRes files using some software on my PC. But...the vinyl sounds way, way better. I ripped the vinyl, and low and behold, the dynamic range is double the CD and HiRes.

When streaming in CD quality and HiRes, again, I cannot tell the difference in a blind test. I saw an interesting video by Amir of Audio Science Review, where he discussed and analysed HiRes files using some expensive equipment. Basically, there is no difference you can actually hear. Our ears can only hear up to 20Khz, and that's a maximum. Most adults can only get to 15-17Khz, if they are lucky. A CD more than covers this. As for 24bit over 16bit, I am not sure...but I personally cannot hear a difference. Maybe I haven't got "Golden Ears", but I personally go for CD quality downloads now and feel silly for paying a premium in the past for supposedly "HiRes" files.

In summary, I wouldn't bother upgrading for the sake of going "HiRes". Sure, better amps, speakers, and DACs can sound better, but I don't think its because they are "HiRes".

Yeah i think that it all sounds very much alike - so 48/24 is perfectly adequate.

So the only real reason I'd want the s3000pro is because they're genuinely good speakers when discounted lol

@FootHealer may be worth seeing if you favourite EP is listed on DRWars and whether it quotes similar results. I’ve found that on Spotify those albums that DRWars quote as having a DR of over 10 sound the best, over 12 is even better.

Yeah i think that it all sounds very much alike - so 48/24 is perfectly adequate.

So the only real reason I'd want the s3000pro is because they're genuinely good speakers when discounted lol
24bit/48Khz is fine for me too. If you are upgrading because you want better speakers, then that makes more sense. Enjoy...

Last edited by a moderator:
@FootHealer may be worth seeing if you favourite EP is listed on DRWars and whether it quotes similar results. I’ve found that on Spotify those albums that DRWars quote as having a DR of over 10 sound the best, over 12 is even better.

Hi,

I just checked and they don't have that EP (The Parcels - Hideout). Its been a while since I did the measurements, but I seem to remember the HiRes and CD being about 5 or 6 on the Dynamic Range Scale. The vinyl EP is about 12. It seems their other albums weren't as bad (Downloads at around 9 and vinyl around 12). This seems correct to me, as I own both CD and vinyl copies of all their albums bar one (its on order).

There is no hifi equipment available that can produce the dynamic range that 24bit gives you. 16 bit gives 96db. 24 bit is capable of 144db.

Hmm interesting - cd quality is perfectly fine then for sure.

Though 192/24 just looks cooler - like i said i might be falling for the marketing.

Though 192/24 just looks cooler - like i said i might be falling for the marketing.
There's always the separate dac and a set of monitors route (another rabbit hole 😀)

It seems like mostly marketing to me. How much music is there above 20KHz anyway...plus, can you even hear it? You are paying for something you cannot hear at best, empty silence at worst. This is why I get CD Quality only now. I use the saved money to buy more music. Literally get twice for the price.

Having gone through some of this with the aforementioned unit, I can say with pretty much high confidence and experience, at the money, the S350db is hard to beat.

I've gone down an entirely different rabbit hole as my requirements list grew after testing this unit, but had it not, i'd be happy with the S350.
Can you tell me a bit more on the testing you have done with s350db, I'd like to know more?

I was playing around with my s350dbs and decided to take them to full blast, and was pleasantly surprised when they started sounding even better than at lower volumes - with all of these different tones really blossoming and coming out to play at the high volume.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom