• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is there a point to 48Bit Deep Colour?

dw89

Hi All,

Maybe I'm confused but I have a Pioneer 36Bit DC 5090. The new Pioneer BD players use 48 Bit Deep Colour but I've heard that BD's themselves are only encoded as 10Bit?? Is this true? If so what's the point of having a 36Bit TV or 48Bit BD player???

Thanks in advance for anyone who can explain!

Dave:)

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
Thats not comparing like with like.

DTV, DVD, HD DVD & Blu-ray all use 8-bit colour; that is there are 8 bits assigned to each or red, green and blue.

Therefore there are a total of 24 bits on teh discs.

Nick

dw89

Hi Mate,

Yup, ok with that...but still not sure what the point of 48bit players are if that can't be realised on the screen though:confused:

Dave

Avi

Distinguished Member
Hi Mate,

Yup, ok with that...but still not sure what the point of 48bit players are if that can't be realised on the screen though:confused:

Dave

The answer is potentially nothing or even the possibility that using fully upsampled colour (8bit or deep colour) from the player may have a negative impact at the display. Some displays use YCbCr 4:2:2 scheme for internal processing and this may be at 10bit or less. A signal input at higher than 10bit and fully upsampled i.e. RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4 may be truncated then converted back and the process may not be lossless. The result may be a reduction on chroma resolution for example.

The problem with HDMI 1.3 and deep colour is it only specifies what happens on the HDMI interface not what happens before and after. The answer to the headline question is 48bit may look better on a spec sheet !

AVI

Last edited:

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
Bottom line is slightly higher bit rates allow for more accurate transfer due to rounding errors, anything more than that is hype. 12 bits covers everything with ease.

Roger Thornhill

Same as for CD i guess?

The discs are 16bit but you started to get 24bit players etc etc with the prospect of lowering the noise floor for better signal to noise ratios.

It may be the same for the video info?

I could never tell on CD though, much prefer 16bit replay equipment.

Roger Thornhill

..................anything more than that is hype..

But your tag line says.............

''Everything to excess, even excess'' or words to that effect. Bit of a contradiction there;)

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
Excess is fine, hype is not. I know what I am getting and don't need to justify over inflated numbers as part of an ego trip :D.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom