Is there a name for people who don't like surround sound?

DrPhil

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Aside from "freak"?

Seriously, has anyone encountered this? My wife doesn't like surround sound. At all. She's never liked the cinema, although I put that down to the fact that most cinemas actually have pretty crap sound, a half decent system with the volume way too high.

I finally installed a small system at home and we watched our first film on it tonight, she still doesn't like it. She doesn't like hearing sound from anywhere other than right in front of her at the screen.

Ah well. Most of our joint viewing is in the big living room anyway, but for the annual movie marathons (Alien, John Wick, LOTR etc) she'll just have to suck it up!

I can't think of anything in this instance. Well nothing that wouldn't be considered "stereo-typical" in nature! 🤣🤣

Ex-wife?!

Mine is a big horror nut, so loves the added immersion of surround sound and Atmos.

My wife likes the clarity and ease of listening that a good surround sound system brings even though she insists on sitting well of axis. She'll probably be just as happy with a good soundbar to be honest.

How does she cope in the real world as sound doesn’t come from directly in front of you when out and about.

A really well put together surround sound system should mimic what you hear in the real world and sound more natural than direct sound coming from in front of you!!

Aside from "freak"?

Seriously, has anyone encountered this? My wife doesn't like surround sound. At all. She's never liked the cinema, although I put that down to the fact that most cinemas actually have pretty crap sound, a half decent system with the volume way too high.

I finally installed a small system at home and we watched our first film on it tonight, she still doesn't like it. She doesn't like hearing sound from anywhere other than right in front of her at the screen.

Ah well. Most of our joint viewing is in the big living room anyway, but for the annual movie marathons (Alien, John Wick, LOTR etc) she'll just have to suck it up!
Wife here. Let me share why I hate it. We have an excellent sound system. It is too goddamn loud. I don’t need to feel every sound that happens in a movie. I now also hate all action movies including the entire Star Wars franchise. Thanks, Sonos. I may move out.

Stereophile?

A lot of people don't like the volume of a cinema and surround sound tends to be louder (or at least more sound) due to the increased channel count. So might be misattibuting the issue.

Also a lot prefer compressed sound to uncompressed, they don't like the big bangs or quiet periods, so prefer tv speakers as they don't have the dynamics to start with.

I guess it's a very individual thing, based on how we immerse ourselves in films. I don't dislike surround sound, but I also don't find that it adds much to the experience. I think a subconscious part of me is always aware that I'm watching the 'world' through a window in front of me, so sounds from elsewhere seem just slightly incongruous. I realise that puts me in the minority :)
Now if I was watching a completely 360 degree experience (maybe through a VR headset), I'm sure I'd feel differently!

I like surround when it’s done well, but so often it isn’t and mearly is a distraction.

I also have a tendency to prefer older films and television, where plot and acting trumps technology.

I also have a tendency to prefer older films and television, where plot and acting trumps technology.
I''ve always said that a good film can be watched on a portable TV (or laptop these days I suppose). If it needs Atmos to make it worth watching, then for me it's failed.

That said I do have an Atmos system, though I make sure it's set so that it doesn't distract (ie I haven't bumped up the levels of the surround/height channels).

Before Christmas I was testing out a new stereo amp, so I ended up using it for TV viewing as well. Surprising how many times I thought I heard a sound behind/beside me, so I'd check to make sure I hadn't got the AVR on by mistake. :D

I'd actually prefer a really good stereo set up than a cheap and nasty Atmos set up. The front speakers and sub(s) are the most critical part rather than having a room full of speakers, especially if that compromises what can be spent on the front channels. The only reason I went Atmos was because I upgraded my front speakers, which was a big improvement, plus I was able to buy a single speaker to make a set of 4 to use for the Atmos channels.

Does a well cooked meal taste great no matter where you eat it, including on your sofa. Does it improve when you eat it in a fancy restraunt with the ambience/service/state of mind. To me its the same with surround sound, it just adds a little extra on top.

It is interesting that the real high end (outside projectors which need insanely expensive lens at the top end due to image size and distortions) is all stereo gear. Trinnov is expensive but not that expensive in comparison to some of the 6 or 7 figure 2 channel pre amps.

It is interesting that the real high end (outside projectors which need insanely expensive lens at the top end due to image size and distortions) is all stereo gear. Trinnov is expensive but not that expensive in comparison to some of the 6 or 7 figure 2 channel pre amps.
I meant they didnt keep throwing coins at the hobby with upgrades

I meant they didnt keep throwing coins at the hobby with upgrades
I knew what you meant. :D Not that I'm rich, but I've mostly got out of the 'throwing coins at upgrades' phase since my last build 7 years ago. I wouldn't be retired early if I hadn't though I reckon.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom