Is there a media player that isn't rubbish?

I suggest it is more, can you live with the known issues a media player has. Nvidia has been updating for years, has have other brands too.

But still the Gremlins in the works live on. As my post you liked, reminds us all.

I think the main issue with Nvidia when it comes to updates is that they also tend to break other things, requiring additional hotfixes to get us back to the same functionality prior to the original update.

I think the main issue with Nvidia when it comes to updates is that they also tend to break other things, requiring additional hotfixes to get us back to the same functionality prior to the original update.
Not just Nvidia, same thing happens with large update changes in both hardware and software support.
Hence beta and release candidate versions.

A shame Blu-ray player chip evaluation boards aren't available, they would be ideal.

Is moving from a Vero 4k to an Nvidia Shield a bad idea?

I'm mostly happy with the Vero, only problem I've had it it stuttering and stopping on some UHD rips, I'm not sure if it's a network issue, bad rip or the player not being able to cope.

I'd prefer one box than can play Amazon TV too, I read that it can be added to the Vero but I heard about low resolution.

I currently use a Fire TV stick for Amazon and my Sky Q box on the odd occasion I use Netflix.

Trouble is I'm looking at a change of AVR to one that only has 5 HDMI inputs, I'm currently using 6 so would need to consolidate.

Here are my devices

PC for occasional video playing and music.
Sky Q
PS4
UHD Bluray player
Vero 4k
Fire TV stick

Any other suggestions?

I have both and a wide variety of Bluray and 4K rips.

Never had a problem with either of them with playback. I do get some issues in one room and it's network related.

There are 2 versions of the Vero4K, the earlier one had a 100Mbit ethernet port, the newer one gigabit, although both should be up to UHD playback.

Mine is the gigabit version.

I haven't done it as my TV with the Vero has excellent apps for streaming, but can you not add Netflix and Amazon prime to the Vero via Kodi?

I've never tried it myself but I have seen guides or other members mentioning it.

Hi I play 4kUHD rips off a HDD connected to the vero and never had a problem it must be a network issue , mine is the original vero not the +

I'm looking for a media player for:
Netflix, Amazon, Disney, Apple TV
I'd like it to have Atmos play back.

I'm looking at the Apple TV, but would an Xbox one X do the exact same job with the same quality?

I'm looking for a media player for:
Netflix, Amazon, Disney, Apple TV
I'd like it to have Atmos play back.

I'm looking at the Apple TV, but would an Xbox one X do the exact same job with the same quality?
There's no Apple TV app for the Xbox, and as far as I'm aware no plans or announcements by Apple to bring it to any of the game consoles.

Atmos also wasn't available on the Xbox Disney + app as at the end of last year, don't know if that has since changed

There's no Apple TV app for the Xbox, and as far as I'm aware no plans or announcements by Apple to bring it to any of the game consoles.

Atmos also wasn't available on the Xbox Disney + app as at the end of last year, don't know if that has since changed

Thanks, I'll have to look into it a bit more.
I would have preferred the Xbox option just to have a 4k player, other than that, Apple TV would have done the job.

I'm not even that bothered about the apple streaming service. I just got a free year of it, so may as well of used it.

Out of curiosity I bought an nVidia ShieldTV 2019 (tube version) to see if it was an improvement over my Roku SS+, and to try Atmos music on Tidal.

I'm not that impressed with the Shield, especially for the amount of money it costs.

ShieldTV advantages over Roku

• Netflix outputs Atmos (although there's no reason the Roku couldn't it seems Netflix haven't enabled it)
  • Netflix can frame rate match (after messing about and installing the Refresh Rate app)
  • Disney+ outputs Atmos (even though Roku should, maybe a temporary thing with Roku)
  • Disney+ interface is faster, Roku seems to take an age to load some tiles
  • Plex app outputs correct audio stream (Atmos, DTSX) although not that useful for me as I have a Vero 4K for this stuff
  • Global search with voice support is good, although limited use when using Harmony remote

Roku advantages over ShieldTV
  • General frame rate matching is quicker on Roku when the video starts
  • Amazon frame rate matches on Roku
  • YouTube supports HDR and generally seems to play back better
  • General glitches and instability with random app crashes, or blank screens
  • iPlayer no longer works on Shield, opens app then closes.
  • iPlayer on Roku supports HLG
  • All 4 app available

I'd still like to improve the audio situation for Netflix and possibly Disney+ is Roku can't sort the app out.
I'd also like to try Dolby Atmos music in Tidal.

I think this points me toward an Apple TV 4K, so would one of those support the following
  • Netflix with frame rate matching and Atmos audio (and HDR10 support)
  • Disney+ with Atmos (and HDR10 support)
  • Tidal with Dolby Atmos music

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Will the AppleTV support the features I want?

Out of curiosity I bought an nVidia ShieldTV 2019 (tube version) to see if it was an improvement over my Roku SS+, and to try Atmos music on Tidal.

I'm not that impressed with the Shield, especially for the amount of money it costs.

ShieldTV advantages over Roku
  • Netflix outputs Atmos (although there's no reason the Roku couldn't it seems Netflix haven't enabled it)
  • Netflix can frame rate match (after messing about and installing the Refresh Rate app)
  • Disney+ outputs Atmos (even though Roku should, maybe a temporary thing with Roku)
  • Disney+ interface is faster, Roku seems to take an age to load some tiles
  • Plex app outputs correct audio stream (Atmos, DTSX) although not that useful for me as I have a Vero 4K for this stuff
  • Global search with voice support is good, although limited use when using Harmony remote

Roku advantages over ShieldTV
  • General frame rate matching is quicker on Roku when the video starts
  • Amazon frame rate matches on Roku
  • YouTube supports HDR and generally seems to play back better
  • General glitches and instability with random app crashes, or blank screens
  • iPlayer no longer works on Shield, opens app then closes.
  • iPlayer on Roku supports HLG
  • All 4 app available

I'd still like to improve the audio situation for Netflix and possibly Disney+ is Roku can't sort the app out.
I'd also like to try Dolby Atmos music in Tidal.

I think this points me toward an Apple TV 4K, so would one of those support the following
  • Netflix with frame rate matching and Atmos audio (and HDR10 support)
  • Disney+ with Atmos (and HDR10 support)
  • Tidal with Dolby Atmos music

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Will the AppleTV support the features I want?
Apple TV doesn't frame rate match properly for Netflix - it can't do proper 24p which a lot of Netflix originals are filmed in. I have both the Apple TV and Shield. If I really want to watch something in particular on Netflix in my dedicated room, I use the Shield. For all other streaming services I generally stick with the ATV

I have tried both as alternates to my Zidoo, but they are poor competitors.

EDIT: For the avoidance of doubt, I only use the Zidoo for NAS / local media playback. I am not suggesting it as a viable tool for any streaming services (in case that was implied)

Last edited:
Lack of support for 24p is most likely a hardware issue, maybe that will be resolved in a later model.

Returning to this thread about a year later :) ! Now the ATV4K has at least announced support for YT 4K.

But all I want is this:

- proper framerate matching for the STANDARD frame rates
- proper chroma decoding
- proper luma
- source direct out to let my tv handle filtering and upscaling

My Oppo UDP-203 has all of the above for my local files and discs, but I want the same for YT, Netflix, HBO and Amazon Prime.

The biggest problem still seems to be YT...

Is the Zappitti my solution for the above except for YT???

The 2019 Shield is also capable of Dolby Vision output, I believe; and, almost uniquely, with the correct pre-processing, it's capable of playing back dual-layer Dolby Vision 4K blu-ray rips.
Have read this ? does it add anything?

and

Last edited by a moderator:
If a rip is in Dolby Vision then it also contains the metadata for "regular" HDR. So if your device doesn't have DV, like some TV's, but does have HDR then it plays it in HDR.

This is what the Shield does. If it didn't, everyone would be complaining.

The Shield can play DV files, just not MKV's and you lose the HD Audio track, so no DTS-HD MA, Atmos, DTS-X, TrueHD etc.

Not play MKVs??!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom