Quantcast

Is there a media player that isn't rubbish?

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
I've test a few frame rates and this is what happens on my setup (what is shown on my TV info)
24fps - 24Hz
25fps - 50Hz
30fps - 60Hz
50fps - 50Hz
60fps - 60Hz
That's not enough testing. You need to be able to distinguish between 24Hz and 23.976Hz; and between 60Hz and 59.94.

skyline32

I don't know how to distinguish between them though. I've never seen my setup report 23.976 or 59.94. Plus I've not found videos on YouTube that can send those fps. Do you have any examples?
There are plenty of test files if you google around. The ones I use (which do include 23.976, 29.97 and 59.94) show three rows of vertical bars moving horizontally from left to right, and it is fairly easy to see when there are problems, just focus on one bar and see how much it wobbles left and right.

My TV reports 24Hz for both 23.976 and 24.000 so not much use for telling what you are seeing.

Does OSMC have the "Codec Info" overlay which Kodi has?

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
Does OSMC have the "Codec Info" overlay which Kodi has?
OSMC is an operating system primarily designed to run Kodi - all video playback under OSMC is done via Kodi. So, if you press me to a yes or no answer to that, then yes; but I don't entirely accept the premise of the question. :)

You guys can trust me on 23.976Hz vs 24Hz issues, as my Lumagen RadiancePro can tell me which it is receiving (and ditto 59.94 vs 60). Last time I checked, the Roku SS+ always insisted on outputting 24Hz instead of 23.976, which gives you perceptible micro-stutter if you know what you're looking for - once every (roughly) 41 seconds it repeats a frame, which causes a slight "hesitation" in the video. Since it happens at regular intervals, it becomes very noticeable once you've seen it for the first time.

It also outputs 59.94Hz instead of 60 (or did the last time I checked).

I have it in mind that stuff on YouTube specifically is 24/60 rather than 23.976/59.94, but I may be misremembering.

Last edited:

algu01

OSMC is an operating system primarily designed to run Kodi - all video playback under OSMC is done via Kodi. So, if you press me to a yes or no answer to that, then yes; but I don't entirely accept the premise of the question. :)

You guys can trust me on 23.976Hz vs 24Hz issues, as my Lumagen RadiancePro can tell me which it is receiving (and ditto 59.94 vs 60). Last time I checked, the Roku SS+ always insisted on outputting 24Hz instead of 23.976, which gives you perceptible micro-stutter if you know what you're looking for - once every (roughly) 41 seconds it repeats a frame, which causes a slight "hesitation" in the video. Since it happens at regular intervals, it becomes very noticeable once you've seen it for the first time.

It also outputs 59.94Hz instead of 60 (or did the last time I checked).

I have it in mind that stuff on YouTube specifically is 24/60 rather than 23.976/59.94, but I may be misremembering.
Thx! Amazingly bad that chipsets and drivers as well as information utilities on video devices in general are this sloppy with discriminating between different framerate standards.

One shouldn’t have to fork out for a Lumagen to get the correct framerate information!

I remember when the ATV4K released and output everything in HDR. When questioned Apple answered that it was an inelegant user experience to switch output depending on the content. Says it all really about their priorities!

They STILL haven’t fixed the 24p-bug and probably never will...

algu01

The Vero 4K+ handles it fine. Roku SS+ appears not to.

If anyone wants to test, this video is 23.976Hz:

Does the Vero handle YT in all resolutions upto 4K at least? Sry if you’ve already answered that question...But I think it was only related to HDR.

Last edited:

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
Does the Vero handle YT in all resolutions upto 4K at least? Sry if you’ve already answered that question...But I think it was only related to HDR.
Yes, it does, although it's done via a Kodi plug-in rather than a dedicated app, so the UI is arguably not as nice.

It actually can decode 4K HDR 60Hz stuff on YouTube but at the moment it doesn't correctly flag it as HDR in the video output, so the TV doesn't know it has to switch to HDR mode. I'm hopeful that will be fixed in the next few months.

It's not like (say) the Apple TV 4K which will never be able to decode 4K VP9.2 because of a hardware restriction.

Eddy555

I've looked into why Netflix isn't frame rate switching on the Roku SS+ and apparently this has been disabled on the latest update to the channel :(
24p not working on Netflix - Roku Forums
It's made navigating the menus less painful, but removed one of the key features I bought it for. Hopefully us Roku users can apply enough pressure for them to fix it (Roku or Netflix, not sure who)

Edit: after speaking to Netflix it's Roku that have removed the feature. Will push them to add it back.

Last edited:

mtenga

Distinguished Member
I've looked into why Netflix isn't frame rate switching on the Roku SS+ and apparently this has been disabled on the latest update to the channel :(
24p not working on Netflix - Roku Forums
It's made navigating the menus less painful, but removed one of the key features I bought it for. Hopefully us Roku users can apply enough pressure for them to fix it (Roku or Netflix, not sure who)

Edit: after speaking to Netflix it's Roku that have removed the feature. Will push them to add it back.
I'm personally glad they took it off. It made navigation of Netflix nigh on impossible with all the black screens so I took it out of my system.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Yeah I get that, it was pretty annoying, but they should at least give us the choice. Or just fix it so frame rate switching is disabled in the menu.
It is disabled in the menu by default. You have to switch it on.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
I meant have a specific toggle for Netflix only, but still have a global toggle so it can be enabled for other apps like YouTube, Amazon Video, iPlayer etc.
Yes something like that would be welcomed.