• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is there a manual way of acheiving a MCE 2005 config reset on Vista?

peskywinnets

Obviously Mark Salloway's tool was excellent for getting MCE 2005 back to base zero, but (unless I'm missing something), it doesn't work on Vista MCE - there is a link on his website to a beta version but when i download it & then try to install it, it reports "this beta version has expired".

So, is there a prescribed way to manually clean Vista MCE & get it back to how it would be after a fresh O/S install? (I'm trying to avoid having to do a fresh Vista Install!) or does anyone have an unexpired version of the beta Vista reset tool I mentioned earlier?

Many thanks.

peskywinnets

What specific problems are you trying to fix with this 'reset'?

Well, I've had at least three different types of tuners in since the Vista install.

Firstly a DVB-T USB stick (worked well with FTA, but I need Sky for the kids), then I moved on to an S2-3200 & tried to get sky working with it - failed miserably & aborted (the card IMHO sucks), I then moved on to a floppydtv, which is very good, so I then added another one - fine. I then stupidly changed my headend code for the EPG...this is when it all went bad. Several scans later I just can't get the encrypted channels to decode with any degree of regularity (& some not at all)....bearing in mind my setup was working fine before, coupled with the number of tuner changes & 'frigs', scans & channel editing applied - I'd just like to get back Vista MCE to a status quo!

Cable Monkey

Are the 'encrypted channels' you speak of ones you need to pay for?

peskywinnets

Are the 'encrypted channels' you speak of ones you need to pay for?

Yes, of course you have to pay for viewing them (why else would they be encrypted?)

And yes, I *do* pay for viewing these channels (I have a legitimate Sky Card & I line the Murdoch's pockets to the tune of 25 quid a month), there's no question of piracy here. I'm puzzled by your line of questioning? (it suggests you've not read any of the gazillions of threads discussing this on avforums...(which for a Moderator is surprising)?

There are many on here that would just rather integrate the Sky viewing experience into their HTPC setup.

Cable Monkey

Because, as you can understand I am sure, I have to. I don't know the technicalities of what you are doing (I am not a Sky customer) but I need to be sure you are not circumventing any encryption illegally. Your response has given me the reassurance I needed and I thank you for the prompt response. Don't take it personally!:)

peskywinnets

Don't take it personally!:)

:thumbsup: Ok, I won't! It's just I thought you were picking on me alone (I'm not saying I'm paranoid but I gave up playing rugby cos every time there was a scrum, I thought they were talking about me :D )

EDIT: Ok...sorted my issue. Thank heavens for Acronis backups! I remembered that I'd done an Acronis backup shortly after loading & configuring vista. This at least got me back to pre -Sky tuner/CAM attempts. After restoring, I then installed my floppydtv from scratch again & it's now solid on the encyption channels.

The moral of my story.....

1. Take a backup of your HTPC at regular intervals (System restore is good, but doesn't quite cut it!).

2. Don't try & install a Sky solution after *already* previously installing a Sky solution using a different manafacturer's tuner (eg if you've had an S2-3200, don't try & install a floppydtv *unless* you want to waste hours of piddling about)

3. Most importantly, don't change your headend code if you've already modified once before! (certainly for my HTPC this was the *big* killer). Even after doing an acronis restore - which almost got me back to a clean fresh vista install point- having gone through the traditional tuner setup process on Vista - I then started organising channels before I remembered to change the headend ffrom DVB-T to DVB-S. After I changed the headend...no encrypted channels again....therefore this headend registry change is doing something fairly dramatic in the guts of Vista MCE! The solution this time, was to go into edit channels, select all, scan for more services (delete all channels option first), carry out the scan again, then a reboot - only then did my encypted channels starts clearing again.

"I have excorcised the demons - this HTPC is cleeeeeaaaaAAAAANNNNNN"

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom