1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a lot of choice for 37" screens?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by evildonut, Jun 25, 2003.

1. evildonut

evildonut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I don't think we'll be in a position to buy a plasma screen before the end of the year, but I thought I'd start the research early :rolleyes:

I'm in the market for a 37" plasma (wide)screen. The only one I've noticed is the Panasonic but it got mixed reviews... Who else sells 37"?

BTW how come in the shops (e.g. John Lewis) do the picture quality look so pants from a DVD player??

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Hi,

I think Panasonic are the only current manufacturers of 37" plasmas. I think they are dropping this size in the new 6 series panels - it will only be available as a plasma TV. An alternative would be the slightly smaller Toshiba 35WP26 but I've not seen any reviews of that model. The plasmas in JL probably look pants because they won't have been set up correctly, and are are probably being fed a composite signal! :suicide: If you're anywhere near Edinburgh, try to arrange a demo with Joe Fernand at www.tmfsolutions.co.uk :smashin:

Steve

3. evildonut

evildonut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dutch,

I didn't know that Joe's shop was in Edinburgh, excellent! I'm a bit further up North, but hey if we can go there over the weekend for going to Ikea, I can't see why we couldn't d othe same for a plasma screen demo :devil:

4. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +644
    This is the size that i would like to get too. There are a few new models coming out this summer:

Philips 37pf9965 - July 1024x1024 Alis pannel with Pixel Plus
    Panasonic 37PA20 - September - lifestyle plasma with integrated stand and tuner

There is also Sharp's 37HV4E - if you can stand the poor picture quality on LCD TVs. Sorry I couldn't help baiting LCD owners there as I've just been out comparing LCDs and plasmas. Every LCD I saw (e.g. Sharps HV4E or Sonys 30MR1) seemed to give a really poor analogue TV picture with a great deal of noise. Dark scenes on DVD also looked poor. (This is in comparison to plasmas fed with the same analogue arial.) Bright DVDs such as Toy Story possibly do look even better on LCD than on a plasma.

5. evildonut

evildonut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gary - do you have any idea of price for these babies?

I'm like you - I'm not yet convinced about LCD TVs taking over Plasma... but hey, this area evolves almost as quickly as computer technology!

6. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Gary,

Where did you see the Sharp 37HV4E ? Would love to see one for myself.

Cheers, Carl.

7. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +644
    I've definitely seen the 30HV4E today - in John Lewis Oxford Street. I have seen the 37" recently but I cannot remember if it was in John Lewis Bluewater or Sevenoaks HiFi in Sevenoaks.

Have a look and see what you think - but make sure that you watch some dark scenes via DVD e.g. Lord of the Rings start and some normal TV as these seem to be the weakest areas.
    Personally I'm waiting a little longer for the 37" plasmas - or I'll just get fed up and get a 42"

8. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Gary,

Thanks, I'll give 'em a call and then go for a look-see over the weekend. I'll be interested to see how it copes with movement on screen - smearing has, for me, always been a problem when using LCD for TV or DVDs.

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me - 32" a little too small, 42" a little too big, and not a lot of choice inbetween. Personally I'm waiting for the Panny 6 series 37" - I suspect I'll jump when they start to turn up (unless the 37HV4E turns out to do the job .. not that I expect it will).

Cheers, Carl.

9. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +644
    Carl - actually I can only remeber definitely seeing the 30HV4E this week. I have seen the 37" but I cannot be sure where - could have been somewhere on Tottenham Court Road.
    I had a good look at the Sony 30MR1 and Sharp 30HV4E yesterday and neither looked very good to me. All LCD TVs that I have seen so far seem to be very grainy/noisy but on the other hand they do seem to be very sharp. To me its a lot like editing a digital photo and turning the sharpness up too high.

I think I'll be a Panasonic customer too this year. I think that there is also a similar size (35"?) JVC plasma with DIST coming out soon.

Cheers, Gary

10. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are outside Edinburgh, a place called Romano Bridge, probably 20-30 minutes drive. Take the same road as Ikea but keep going heading through Penicuik towards Peebles.