1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a High Definiation Dvd recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by san_marco, Jul 4, 2005.

1. san_marco

san_marco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a bit confused.

Ive seem the sony rdrhx 910 advertised coming out soonish, is this a true High Definition player/recorder? I know it has a HDMI outputs and it upscales 720p/1080i. So does this mean it is true HD. Or it just can upscale the content. So when i have HD DVD content film it will be able to play it without losing any quality.

If not then is there a true HD one being released?

Does anybody know any others and when they are being released.

Also when sky bring out HD content will it be able to record HD content and play it back, or because of licensing laws and HDCP will it just record SD.

Thanks a million in advance

Marc

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    There are currently no BluRay/DVD-HD players, let alone recorders, available in the UK yet. Players are not likely to be around until the end of this year at the earliest.
    An upscaling DVD player or recorder will never play the new HD discs as it is just a standard DVD format player/recorder but with a video processor built in that takes a SD disc and converts it to a higher resolution so that it looks better on a HD screen.

As for Sky, well nobody seems to definately know what will or wont be possible from the new HD service - and that includes Sky by the looks of it!

Mark.

3. Ninjaman

Ninjaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    HD DVD Players -- end of year 2005
    Slim line DVD Players -- early 2006
    HD DVD Recorders --- summer 2006
    Blue Ray Players --- Spring/summer 2006
    Blue Ray Recorders Players --- end of year 2006

Toshiba has developed a hybrid dvd disc: with 4.7gb standard dvd layer and 15 Gb HD Dvd Layer. Toshiba HD Player/ Recorders are compatible with standard dvd discs. Standard DVD Players can play the hybrid disc ie. 4.7 Gb layer only.

Blue ray disc will be software compatible with PS3. Microsoft may adopt HD DVD format in the 360.

Btw. There will be no standard hd format this generation. Has rationalisation talks has broken down. My gut feeling will be HD DVD will be dominant format.

4. san_marco

san_marco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I have a HD TV Hitachi 32 LD7200 and a normal DVD player, will the tv upscale the image? So is it worth getting a dvd player like the sony 910 that upscales? Will it be any better a picture? Some people have said that the upscaler in a dvd is no better then the tv.

Marc