Is there a HD DVD writer on the market yet ?

jamieuk23

Banned
Hi just wondering if there is a HD DVD writer I can buy any were, if not when would you guess untill we see them ??

:thumbsup: !!!

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
None on the market although we know they exist as one forms part of the Japanese A1 HD DVD recorder. Like HD DVD-ROM drives they are being held back from market at present - presumably to avoid the farce that Sony have experienced with their BluRay drives unable to play BD movies (whether this is simply due to a lack of HDCP graphics cards or something more sinister remains to be seen). Regardless I think we'll see a big push of HD DVD hardware once Vista arrives (as that will support auto-downscaling hence discs will play with or without an HDCP graphics card). So my guess would be January/Febuary for widescale availability.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
I wonder if my x1800X graphics card will support it. will have to look in to it
Not sure about the ATI side of things...I know at least one/some of the cards are HDCP compliant. By sheer luck my graphics card (Geforce 7950GX2) turns out to be HDCP compatible (according to the box anyway) although I can't see me ever needing it for the lifespan of this PC.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
looks like I am buying this in october
When Vista got pushed back so did the release of the PC drives :( I honestly don't think it would be worth ripping apart a £400 HD DVD player to get a ROM drive though.

You never know, the Xbox 360 addon might work for considerably less...

Top Bottom