Is there a good USB PVR recorder

visualise

Novice Member
I'm looking for a new PVR recorder that won't break the bank or draw too much power - so looking for something that uses USB storage rather than built-in HDD.

I'm not happy with what I've seen thus far, which is very basic brandless boxes.

Is there anything good that's preferably Android powered that has a UK freeview tuner?

mikej

Can you give an example of the kind of thing you're talking about ? There are many options for Android streaming devices but their Freeview capabilities are often internet-based / catch-up only, which means they don't usually have a coax input for connecting a terrestrial aerial for live Freeview viewing and recording.

If it's a branded Freeview PVR you're after, then there are only three major manufacturers still making them (Humax, Manhattan and Panasonic) and they all record to HDD. Of those, only Humax use Android (on the Aura) but it's not the cheapest option.

As for power when in use, the Manhattan T3-R (for example) only uses 19W (max) when running (which is the same as a couple of LED bulbs) and virtually nothing when in standby.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom