• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is there a good thunderstorm recording?

nicfaz

Established Member
Help needed!

Having got my monolith comfortable in its new home, I wanted to see what it could do. I thought a recording of a thunderstorm would be a good test and tried to buy one, but all the ones I've tried so far (from 'relaxation music' CDs) have been awful - the thunder appears to have been the creation of an amateur foley artist rustling an empty crisp packet! :rolleyes:

Does anyone know of a *proper* thunderstorm recording, by which I mean a real thunderstorm done with a microphone that could cope with the low frequencies?

Thanks in advance

salsatoo

Established Member
Hi, yes there is a quite amazing recording of a thunderstorm. It was produced on vinyl in 1979 by Syntonic Research Inc under the title of 'The psychologically ultimate thunderstorm'. However you may not find it any longer. Hope that helps, let me know if you require any more info.
Update: I have seen it on Amazon.com

Last edited:

paulst10

Distinguished Member
There's an excellent thunderstorm in Moulin Rouge which used to be one of my demo scenes a few year ago

Wasn't there a good thunderstorm in Open Range as well ?

And War of the Worlds has quite impressive lighting srikes ;) :eek:

At the beginning of certain dvds, cant quite remember which, but it could be the beginning of Jerry bruckheimer films.
Sounds brilliant from what i remember a very good test for systems.

Perhaps someone else can remember which discs have it ?

paulst10

Distinguished Member
At the beginning of certain dvds, cant quite remember which, but it could be the beginning of Jerry bruckheimer films.
Sounds brilliant from what i remember a very good test for systems.

Perhaps someone else can remember which discs have it ?

Con Air, The Rock etc! :smashin:

nicfaz

Established Member
Great responses so far, thanks. Unfortunately the vinyl is no good as I have no record player now, but I think I can feel a copy of Moulin Rouge approaching...

Any more CD/MP3 based ones?

Ian J

Banned
If you want to see what it can do some of the favourites from yesteryear that have never been bettered include the DTS version of The Haunting which is an absolutely appalling film but has this superb scene where the pipes in the old house start clanging and I have never dared to play it at reference level as it's so loud or the depth charge scenes from Das Boot which unlike the previous film is actually very good

Nimby

Distinguished Member
Dire Straits: Brothers In Arms on vinyl always does it for me. :devil:

Heart of the Storm. DVD 2004. (I haven't watched it yet)

Last edited:

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
Wasn't there a good thunderstorm in Open Range as well ?
Very much so and unlike a lot of the other 'demo' pieces, you get to watch a fantastic western with class leading gunshot sounds too.:)

Russell

stevefish69

Prominent Member
Literally the whole of the film Identity has an amazing thunderstorm effect panning across all 5 speakers :smashin:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Kung foo Panda has a few thunderstorms in it as well as some amasing bass moments all the way through (also a good film).

amgard

Established Member
There's a Craig Armstrong track with a storm on, sorry can't remember which one at the mo', but it's not surprising really as he did the music for Moulin Rouge:smashin:

banners

Established Member
Suburban Thunder - I tried this some time ago quite good IIRC, may have to go and play again actually. It certainly put the wind up my cats:devil:

I got the fireworks one too but TBH it's not great. I'm wondering what the later CD's are like though?

Steve

Pollywoggle

Prominent Member
I have to agree, Open Range is a cracking film with a thunderstorm and shotgun "punch in the chest" bass for anyone with a decent subwoofer!

Lee_JTD

Established Member
Flight of the pheonix, with the added benefit of a plane crash in the middle.

THE_FORCE

Banned
I know you've mentioned 'relaxation CD's' OP, but have you tried Sleepmachines ? I use a couple of their CD's to fall asleep to, the main one being this:

sleep-machines_2039_3542362

A full 60 minutes that isn't just a sample looped. I also fall asleep to the Vacuum Cleaner one.:D

Check it out here for an audio sample:

Rain CD

(You can also buy it on itunes now)

Amal99

Banned
I've got this Dolby/THX demo disc that has a scene where a helicopter races through a city where its pouring with rain and thunder/lightning.

This particular Dolby trailer is also at the begining of The Fast and The Furious movie if you have that. Its in Dolby Digital 5.1.

pws

Prominent Member
I have the Alan Parsons sound check disc that has uncompressed sound including thunder....shells from a cannon....the works

Its designed to understand studio sound and how speakers perform against this ref material :)

Pollywoggle

Prominent Member
Dr Cheskys Magnificent Fabulous Absurd and Insane Musical 5.1 show sacd has a thunderstorm on it. All sorts of other wierd stuff to give your system a workout including 20hz heartbeat.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom