Is there a freeview pvr that does season passes like a TiVO

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by poggs, Aug 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I need a decent freeview pvr for the parents to tape corrie and other daft progs.

They love the ease of my tivo and would like something similar for themselves that doesn't cost a monthly sub and is all in one box (I suggested a tivo of ebay but got a nah, too big and 2 boxes moan)

So is there a freeview pvr that'll do season passes/links from the epg? (not interested in a manual weekly times recording, want a named tv show recorded)

ta.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    In a word - NO!
    No other PVR has the metadata within the EPG to be able to have a season pass - well not as well designed and powerful as that on a TiVo.
    The closest to it are the TAPs on a Topfield 5800 PVR, but these are user added 'hacks' that are not installed out of the box. If you have the time to set it up for your parents then I'm sure it will do a fairly good job, but as I only have TiVo and have never used the Toppy I can't say for sure.
    More details of TAPs etc can be found Here.

HTH,
    Mark.

3. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    If you count Windows MCE as a PVR it does has metadata so you can have TiVo-like season passes.

The metadata isnt as good though.

MCE has a number of advantages over TiVo if you use it for Freeview as you can get bitstream quality.

Big disadvantages are price,noise and reliability. Though MCE boxes are coming down in price everyday, and in theory a 6 tuner MCE box is possible.

If you are good at Linux and want a full-time job looking after a HTPC there are plenty of Linux-based PVR software around like mythTV and Freevo. Once again UK metadata is lacking though.

Once a community is built up to provide a proper metadata service for the UK these other solutions will be great, but I dont expect that to happen for 10 years at least.

If they moan about having 2 boxes, one guy has managed to dismantle a small freeview Pace box and fit it INSIDE the TiVo box and wire the scart to it directly!

4. Spok

Spok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pace Twin has the very useful facility of repeating events that can be set to record repeatedly - for Ever, Daily, Weekdays, Weekly, or (and this is the closest to season passes) you can specify a number of 'Episodes' for it to record after which the Timer Event is deleted. You can 'set it and forget it'.

As far as I know (and amazingly) this repeating event flexibilty is unique to the Pace Twin.

And before you all pipe up and say the machine is not reliable. It is, providing you don't use the 'All Channels' list. See my numerous posts elsewhere on this forum for more details.

Spok.

5. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Humax once set up and going into Schedele you have the option of repeat once, Daily or Weekly.
    But there is still nothing as clever as the TiVo even after all these years.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,020
    Sorry but I have to disagree, from experience. One of the (at least) two major issues I have with mine is clearly quite unconnected to the channel listing.

7. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well from what i have read and from two friends who have one and of course from my own experience the twin is unreliable. too unreliable to use for programs you cannot afford to miss.
    dont get me wrong i like the twin and am still hoping for another software upgrade to sort out all the bugs, but for day to day usage its just not reliable even with a short favorites list.