Is there a Freeview HD box with full catch up capability?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Disgusted of TW, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Disgusted of TW

Disgusted of TW
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am looking for a Freeview HD box which has full catch up facility; notjust iPlayer, I have read the thread on the I-CAN but it seems to fall short ofwhat I am looking for.
    Additionally I would want to connect by wifi, either built in or via a USBdongle, and have the ability for media streaming from network server and alsodirect from the internet.
    Grateful if anyone knows of a product which would meet my requirements.
    TIA

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2012
  2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,152
    Have a look in the Youview subforum here.

This is a new range of products which seem to be the sort of thing you are after.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
    As Gavtech said YouView will give you all the catch-up TV services and AFAIK is the only service that does offer them all - well the main 5 channels at least.
    However I'm fairly sure that they are not WiFi enabled and therefore need to be hard wired to your router via a CAT5 cable.
    At the moment they also have no media streaming abilities from your own NAS/PC etc, only the catch-up TV and possibly (hopefully) other internet streaming services such as LoveFilm etc will be added in time.

So at the moment the only way to get everything you want is to buy or build an HTPC.

Mark.

4. Disgusted of TW

Disgusted of TW
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies which reminded me of the presscoverage some weeks back of the Youview launch although I didn't follow exactlywhat was on offer. I am interested in using the HD option on a spare TV and had thought that given the advance in technology there would be something to fit my bill.
    Your reminders brought it all back; memories of the earlyAmstrad PC fiasco involving their hard drives I seem to recall. Certainly I amnot convinced that having an additional tuner and yet more recordingcapabilities is something that would not interest me. I do note that Youview ‘may'be launching a model without a hard drive and therefore a second tuner would besuperfluous.
    As opposed to an additional PC I could go down the route of another PS3 which in the long run would be a lot cheaper but I can't get use to their navigation system.
    Anyone have knowledge of using theRaspberry as a media server and the possibility of adding internet capabilityand a menu for catch up services?:grin

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  5. Railway

Railway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105