? is there a dvd player that can seperate the music from the rest of the audio

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dav19pt5, Sep 17, 2004.

1. dav19pt5

dav19pt5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello
    i am working on re scoring a movie. i heard that with surround sound dvd's one potentialy could rig the system so that what ever channel the music is on could be unplugged and the rest of the audio recorded. I am a novice, and if anyone has ideas or advice on how to re record the audio for a movie without the music it would be great.
    thanks

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    Even in 5.1 the music score has a tendency to come out through most of the channels although the centre and surrounds are used at fairly low levels.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    The soundtrack on an average movie is likely to consiste of the following tracks:

main dialogue
    background noise
    voiceover (maybe!)
    background music
    music soundtrack

all of the above are also likely to be recorded in stereo or even more channels. If the music soundtrack is say an orchestra then it will be one channel per instrument! So you are likely to have a master of all the audio as something like 20+ channels. This is then mixed to a 5.1/6.1 soundtrack that goes on the DVD.
    So, as a result of the number of channels of the origional recording you are not going to get a single item through a single channel in a 5.1 etc mix. Therefore AFAIK you are never going to be able to remove just the music from a DVD.

Mark.