1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is there a diff between scart and rgb scart

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by devlino, Oct 9, 2002.

1. devlino

devlino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just purchased a 36" hitatchi tv with dolby digital and dts output i have connected it up with my scart cables . and a co ax for the dts however it says in the manual to set the dvd player input to rgb but when i do this its all purple my questions are what kind of scart leads etc do u reccommend for this set up as i want to upgrade the scarts
    is rgb scart diff to a normal scart thus making it purple or am i doing something wrong i dont want to order the wrong bits
    cheers dev:confused:

2. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Proper RGB scarts give picture only (no sound) but you can buy fully wired and shielded scarts that will give an RGB picture.

IXOS leads are good and are fully wired though you could try here:

http://www.beyondhifi.net/shopping/Categories.asp?CatID=95

Clutching at straws here, but have you the right scart/AV channel set up and is the lead fully in the socket? (can happen to the best of us)

cheers
    tom

3. devlino

devlino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the scart is one of the £15 ones from richer sounds to be honest about setting up im not sure books a bit complicated its deffo pushed in tho its the same color with my other sscart lead

4. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Usually scart 1 is used for RGB and via the remote you should be able to find the right channel by pressing the AV button repeatedly.

I have an old hitachi 4:3 tv and through scart 1 it has AV1 and RGB as seperate channels.

If you've tried this then I'm not sure what the problem could be, as the scarts you mentioned would seem over priced if they were not fully wired.

Let us know how you get on anyway and good luck
    tom

5. devlino

devlino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its a Hitachi C36WF810N any one have one as i dont really follow the book:confused:

6. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    RGB is a signal type which is carried by scart. There, is technically no such thing as an RGB scart cable. So long as the scart cable is fully pinned and shiled This will caryy you RGB signals from DVD to TV.

Devlino
    I assume you mean output?

Scart 1 is RGB on your set.

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    A proper SCART lead will have all 20+ pins connected and will carry a variety of audio and video signals.

It is haowever a poor connector designed by committee and therefore some people sell 'premium (!?)' cables by omitting some connections! Interesting marketing, I think I would prefer to eliminate the SCART lead.

8. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    devlino, if you still have not figured it out, go through these steps:

1. Connect Scart Cable from AV1 (Scart Socket) on DVD Player to AV1 (1st Scart Socket on Hitachis TV). Make sue both ends are firmly connected.

2. Set your DVD Player to output RGB as per the manual.

3. Repeatedly press your Remote's AV Input button (usually a circle or square with an arrow in it) until the proper picture from your DVD Player is displayed.

The picture should be good, not purple. If you've done all of the above and there is still a problem, try turning the swapping the ends of the scart cable. If still no joy, then you might have a faulty cable. Try a different one.

:).

9. devlino

devlino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi back again my dvd is a dansai 852 and i cant find how to enable rgb:confused:

10. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ... in which case, your player doesn't appear to output RGB, only composite, S-Video or YpbPr. I could be wrong but I'm triangulating this from a number of site.

What does it say in your user manual?

11. devlino

devlino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rang the helpline ....... only newer models have rgb output ,thanks for the helpeveryone
    at least ive got dts tho