1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a definitive guide to codecs?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by museumsteve, Jul 20, 2004.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    As more and more people are starting to enjoy HD material via their PCs in various formats, is there a definitive guide to which players and which codecs give best results ?
    I've been playing around with MP Classic, WMP9 and VLC all with varying results. I have to say I do find the whole codec subject a little confusing and at times struggle to know what codecs I'm using, how do I know which codecs are being used (or is that a silly question? )
    I've just had a new system put together for this (64bit) so hopefully the odd stutter or frame rate issue isn't down to my machine.

2. philjames

philjames
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Zoomplayer is an excellent option, mostly down to the sheer amount of tweeking you can do & with the control you have over the codecs used.

The codecs I use for HDTV & DVD playback consists of:

AC3Filter
    Reclock audio renderer
    Sonic Cinemaster DS video decoder
    Elecard MPEG2 demultiplexer

This setup gives me no problems with dropped frames on any of my HDTV films, this is on a 2.4c P4 at a resolution of 1280x720, your shiny new 64bit chip should have no problems.