Is there a decent multi format recorder with HD out there yet?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dmpoole, Mar 19, 2005.

1. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I love my Pioneer DVR-420H and I especially like the editing facilities on it.
    I also love my two Philips DVR75's and especially like the advantages of +RW (in my household and with friends). I miss +RW on the Pioneer.

Is there a multi format recorder out there with excellent editing facilities or am I asking for the moon? I know the Sony's are multi format but apparently they are very poor at editing.

2. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    nobody :lease:

3. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The Sonys are extremely limited in the already-restricted editing facilities of +RW. You can't even divide a title. In the <minus> domain, I don't think the editing provided by current Sony models would improve on that of your Pioneer.

What are the advantages to you of +RW, and then someone may be of more help.

4. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

I give a lot of recordings out and when you record on +RW it is already finalised and will work on everybodies machines. With -RW you have to Initialise the disk, record to it and then finalise it for it to work. +RW saves me a lot of time and effort. It is the only one thing I miss on the Pioneer otherwise it is a truly magnificent machine.

The editing facilities are superb. I've recently recorded a 2 hour concert of my band to it, divided it up, cut all the swearing out and mistakes, give each track a seperate name and then burned it with a menu. I sold 20 copies on friday alone. I recorded this to a -RW in Video Mode and then made copies on my PC.

5. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sounds like you're coping well without having +RW.

Why not copy your edited and finalised -RW master to -R and distribute those? Finalised compatibility will be better than +RW and the blanks are considerably cheaper than -RWs.

6. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The main problem is when the kids want something. They record it on the Pioneer and then want to take it upstairs and this happens a lot. +RW is easily the best format for this. I really want to get rid of my Philips machines but I can't yet.

7. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Keep your Pioneer downstairs and give the DVDR75s to the kids to use upstairs.