Question Is there a cooling off period with Sky Q

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by mmurdoch, Jul 12, 2018.

1. mmurdoch

mmurdoch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Soon it Will be time to give Virgin Media my 30 days notice as my offer is due to end. This is primary down to price as the service has been faultless for majority of the 12 months.

If no deal is available with VM im considering returning to Sky for everything, I still have the previous Sky equipment (Sky HD+) 2tb box for lounge and a couple of additional boxes for bedroom and all the cables are still present which I would be happy to go back to depending on price.

But I've been thinking of moving with the technology and maybe Sky Q but read theres still issues with wifi connections dropping etc and poor tv signals/picture quality.
    If I went for Sky Q and found it to be rubbish could I cancel the contract and get them to collect all there kit back and no charges applicable.

Got to admit I'm not a fan of this Sky Q multi room as we prefer to have our own separate recording boxes and planners as this cuts out accidentally deleting things and Sky Q just sounds a nightmare waiting to happen with who deleted this who deleted that but willing to give it a go if its cheap enough.

Also is the 2TB Sky Q big enough space as we do tend to get close to the 2tb V6 box limit sometimes so then adding another persons viewing to the hard drive might be a bit to much.

Could I also cancel Sky Q if I found it not suitable and go back to Sky HD+ and use my old equipment.

Thanks in advance

2. jrockes

jrockes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    14 day cooling off period. Part of the dish needs upgrading to accommodate Q which Sky will sort out. If you do cancel make sure you ask them to change it back if you want to go HD+ route as the upgrade doesn't work with HD+.

I was sceptical at first but after nearly 6 months with Q I think it's brilliant and surpasses HD+ in everyway. Multiroom works well not had an issue with it. So easy to download stuff if it does get deleted anyway.

3. mmurdoch

mmurdoch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Nice one thanks for taking time to reply. Wonder if they will replace the dish as its been there well over 10 years and faded to hell, dont look that presentable.
    Glad to hear you had no issues with the multi room side of things, are you with Sky for your broadband as I was wondering how sky fibre copes with Sky Q is it basically fast enough and is it throttled or traffic managed. As mentioned with VM at min on there VIP package with up to 200mbs which is hit n miss most days.

4. rs101

rs101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    The v6 box is only 1TB, isn't it? (and I believe they still use MPEG2 for some broadcasts, so use more space than the same channel on Sky).

So the 2TB Q box (1.7TB usable) should be big enough.

5. rs101

rs101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    They'll almost certainly replace the dish, especially if it's that old.

Sky broadband doesn't have any traffic management on it. The Q hubs do have some though - they'll throttle wireless back slightly to try to ensure that the TV service always has adequate bandwidth. In real terms, this doesn't usually have much impact - usually see wifi speeds in excess of 30Mbit/s on a 40Mbit/s sync.

6. mmurdoch

mmurdoch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Ah your right I thought is was 2tb, We have x2 one in lounge and one in lads room so 2tb across both as you can use both(sharing) but never bothered, cheers for that

7. mmurdoch

mmurdoch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Nice one thanks for info, Youngest constantly has his xbox one with online gaming so hopefully so he might complain regarding the poor wifi but everything should work like a treat i hope

8. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    They replaced the dish when I moved to Sky Q and likewise for my sister. Both dishes were in pretty good condition, so I believe it may be standard practice for them to do so.

Martin.