Question Is there a connector that links Sky to Aerial?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by debs0701, May 17, 2018.

1. debs0701

debs0701
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've moved to a new house and there is a cable that is coming out of the aerial socket, which I presume may be a cable for Sky as the previous owners had Sky.

I don't have Sky and I'm unable to insert a normal aerial cable into the socket, given this other cable has been fed through

I bought a coax cable which fitted into the cable but I still cannot get a picture on the TV

I'm obviously way off track with what I actually need here to be able to watch TV via the normal aerial.

Can anyone advise me as to what I need ?

Thanks
    Debbie

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,150
    If the cable has a f connector, then you will need some sort of satellite box, unless your TV has a satellite tuner (look for a screw on f type socket). Old Sky box will do if you don't want to record (try e-bay) Other than that a freesat or generic free to air box should do the job.

If the previous owners had sky-q the lnb on the dish will need replacing unless it's the 6 output hybrid one.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  3. debs0701

debs0701
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Graham. I'm a novice when it comes to this and don't really understand much sadly.

I've looked at the F Connector on Google and they do look like what's in the socket now. I have a number of different coloured sockets at the back of the TV (Green, Blue, Red, White & Red) and also (Yellow, White, Red) on the side. The what I think is the F Connector seems to fit in these. Would this be what you're referring to ? If so, do I just connect it to the correct colour ? (however the cable isn't long enough to reach the TV when it's on the table stand)

Thanks again
    Debbie

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,150
    No those are external video inputs (from your description sounds like component video and audio).

See the antenna in socket here. https://ksassets.timeincuk.net/wp/uploads/sites/54/2018/05/LGOLED65E8Connections.jpg

If the TV only has the standard belling lee connector you would need to connect it to a normal terrestrial aerial.

Assuming your TV has HDMI in then one of these should work.

Humax HB-1100s Smart Freesat Receiver (Now with WiFi)

5. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    You need a UHF TV aerial installed. Planning Your TV Installation and other information on that website might help?

It is possible if, if unlikely, that a different cable still exists behind the current faceplate for a TV aerial somewhere on or in the house (attic/loft)?

Depending on your location, you may be in the very small, lucky, minority that can use a room aka set-top aerial?
    Loft aerials can also be suitable in some areas.
    The most difficult part about d-i-y installation is working out the cable route and getting access into the loft space (if there is one).

Of course a freesat receiver or PVR can be used with most older $ky installations (or even a $ky box), as already suggested. But that may not be what you want?

Info on your location and likely reception of terrestrial TV signals is available from Digital UK - Coverage checker In 'consumer view' it gives you the TV channels you are expected to be able to receive in 'detailed view' it gives more technical information about the transmitter(s) and predicted reception of the 'multiplex frequencies' that carry those TV channels.

If you want to go that route (rather than satellite) we can offer more advice but would need to know (approximately) where you live... the postcode of a nearby shop, pub, school or business will probably be good enough.