• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is there a Component to SCART adapter available?

MrMav11

Prominent Member
Hi

I recently got a new iPod Classic. I now want a TV out lead, only APple ones work because of some Chip, anyway, they do 2 component and Composite.

I understand them both, Component being the better one.

However my prob being the TVs in my house all have component so thats ok, but if I travel to a hotel for example, the TVs there prob will not have Component, probably Composite (agree?)

So if i buy the component, is there a Component to SCART adapter anywhere just incase?

cheers

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Why don't you just buy both? Buy the component adaptor for connecting to compatible TV's (best quality) and also the composite adaptor (plus SCART adaptor) for el' cheapo portable etc. Probably work out cheaper than buying the converter box for component to SCART (RGB), it will take up less room and also you'll have more chance of it working. Remember the converter box would need power as well, although they would probably be dual voltage (not sure). I'm not even sure there are Component to SCART adaptors, there probably are but it would most likely be expensive, it's not exactly a common requirement to downgrade a signal, it's usually the other way around! Most SCARTs do not accept component video (YpBpR also known as YUV) so you would need the converter.

Try the ipod forum for opinions and experiences of this though.

MrMav11

Prominent Member
The reason dont want both is wont use them that much and they are £35 each!!

What about this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=200222911552&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

will this work? i was hoping it was something like this so as not to be bulky and for that "just in case" scenario. I dont want boxes with extra plugs etc.

I understand its not normal to want to downgrade but is in this case for compatibility

I have asked in iPod forums but no answers yet.
cheers

davepuma

Distinguished Member

No as you don't have a sync signal for the fourth input (RGB plus composite sync) from the ipod's AV. It's just plain old component video (no sync). They only work on TV's/Projectors that can accept that kind of signal and it's usually problematic IIRC. I had a similar adaptor that shipped with my projector. Total waste of time, so I convert the RGB signal to component video using my DVD Recorder.

If it's just for occasional use, I would just stick with composite video and buy a cheapo SCART adaptor, although most TV's have a composite video input on the side or front (for camcorders etc.) if they're not on the rear connection panel.

PS. £35 each?! :eek:

MrMav11

Prominent Member
ah so that adapter wont work then, sorry Im not a AV expert at all :eek:

I know they are really expensive cables, and only the offical Apple ones work now, for the previous gen iPods, all 3rd party ones did, and got one for less than a fiver, but at this price is mad.

Im starting to convert lots now to iPod format so thinking that a cable might be good.

Also I prob think that composite will be ok do you think? The movies are prob about 700Mb from DVDs, what you think?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Sorry, I'm no expert on ipod video. I had a *cough* film or three copied on to mine when I first got it from some lads I worked with but the screen size is a joke to watch anything so I binned the idea. Same goes for PSP. I spent about 3 hours converting one episode of top gear to watch on a long haul flight to NYC only for it to be utterly useless, so I have now decided that I will stick with music on my ipod, which now permanently resides in my car's glove box and I use my trusty iRiver as a mp3 player. The composite will probably be fine, but obviously the worst signal quality type but in the end, it's not for serious AV use is it?

MarkTaylor

Prominent Member
The reason dont want both is wont use them that much and they are £35 each!!

At that price I'd buy the cable, it will be cheaper and less bulky than a working component to composite converter

Mr Creosote

Novice Member
Hi

I recently got a new iPod Classic. I now want a TV out lead, only APple ones work because of some Chip, anyway, they do 2 component and Composite.

I understand them both, Component being the better one.

However my prob being the TVs in my house all have component so thats ok, but if I travel to a hotel for example, the TVs there prob will not have Component, probably Composite (agree?)

So if i buy the component, is there a Component to SCART adapter anywhere just incase?

cheers

Hi

I have an identical situation and bought the component version (Apple price :mad:) after some thinking. Would like to have both cables but it's to pricey so I settled for the "better picture quality version". Am I right in thinking that with the limited resolution and bitrate of the iPod videos (e.g. ripped DVDs) one does not want to make matters worse with composite cables?

MarkTaylor

Prominent Member
Only reason to prefer the composite option is if the display device can't handle anything else as may be the case when travelling.

Mr Creosote

Novice Member
Only reason to prefer the composite option is if the display device can't handle anything else as may be the case when travelling.

I agree, would like to have both cables but Apple pricing prevents me :thumbsdow. Without that **** chip third party cables would probably be out now at a fraction of the price :mad:

Mr Creosote

Novice Member
Returned my component cables and got the composite version as these better fit the TVs I will be using my iPod with for viewing.

First impressions:

* Quality of video is crucial: hard compressed e.g. DivX looks quite pixelated especially when motion is involved.
* With higher quality of video source the result is decent, like your average VHS tape.
* Hard to get connections fixed to TV set and even harder to get them out! The smooth texture almost makes you want to use a plier. Not very clever Apple :thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom