Is there a cheap music streaming device for your system?

canada16uk

Hey, I dont really want to spend £400.00 for a music streamer.

I have Ultra HD music from Amazon, but the Nvidia Sheild or the App will not stream the Ultra HD quality.

Is there a cheap device where I can make use of the full Ultra HD ?

I think its 192khz, but the Nvidia will only stream about 48khz.

My amp Yamaha RX-3050 does not have anything that will stream amazon music.

I want to listen to the music through my Yamaha RX-3050 and my MA Golds, without breaking the bank.

Thanks all

canada16uk

Does the Firestick support Ultra HD music if I connect a firestick to my amp instead of the Nvidia Shield?
I have been looking online and there is lots of talk about the Music cast which my Amp has, but I cannot link it to my playlist on amazon, I am trying to do it on my phone Note 9

The only music I can see on the App is music which is downloaded on my phone, but cannot see anything about my music on Amazon App

canada16uk

I managed to get full 24/192 on my laptop through the amazon app on my laptop, but the speakers suck, so just need a device to go through my amp, and no I dont really want to hook up my laptop everytime I want to listen to music LOL

canada16uk

Maybe I should chuck the first gen Nvidia Shield and buy a Firestick.
Its crazy that such an expensive media streamer, it wont play 24bit 192khz music through my amp.
Amazon Sale coming..........

wizball1974

Its crazy that such an expensive media streamer, it wont play 24bit 192khz music through my amp.
Based upon the extensive discussions on this forum and elsewhere, I believe that captures well Amazon's marketing strategy with their music service; they make it sufficiently awkward to get hires music on any devices other than their own, driving up the sales of Amazon hardware.

Avdan

Novice Member
Hi side load the Amazon music phone app onto the Shield then you will get up to 24/192 but you will need to use the gamepad controller as it's designed for phone use, it's very annoying that the Shield native app won't support Hi Res music but at least there is a work around

hyde1969

From what i understand it's a Android limitation and not the shield

mark6226

You won't hear any improvement between 16/44 and 24/192 on a streaming device.
The vast majority of so called Hires streams are just 16/44 upscales. They absolutely aren't native 24/192.

So save your money on these subscriptions.

What kind of sound do you actually expect from tiny streaming device.
I've got the alexa golf ball playing at present. It's OK for a cheap little speaker but it not hifi. It's just background noise. And I've got these little toys all over the house.

If you want hifi sound then don't use these smart speakers. Above, if you want authentic quality hifi sound, don't stream from tidal etc.
It's very lofi when compared to the real thing.

Obviously I've tried them.

mark6226

It's about the quality of the source. Garbage in equals garbage out no matter what the codec is.

These steaming subscriptions are fine to use with your phone when on the move as phones are lofi.

But if you want actual hifi at home then avoid streaming services.

It's all about convenience vs quality.

Avdan

Novice Member
You won't hear any improvement between 16/44 and 24/192 on a streaming device.
The vast majority of so called Hires streams are just 16/44 upscales. They absolutely aren't native 24/192.

So save your money on these subscriptions.

What kind of sound do you actually expect from tiny streaming device.
I've got the alexa golf ball playing at present. It's OK for a cheap little speaker but it not hifi. It's just background noise. And I've got these little toys all over the house.

If you want hifi sound then don't use these smart speakers. Above, if you want authentic quality hifi sound, don't stream from tidal etc.
It's very lofi when compared to the real thing.

Obviously I've tried them.
While I agree with you that you won't hear any difference between a 16/44 & 24/192 if they were originally captured as 16/44, you will certainly hear a difference if the song was captured at a higher rate & you have the equipment to hear the difference.

I personally don't have expensive equipment just a pair of Edifier S3000 (Active Speakers) connected to the Nividia Shild over USB and was originally streaming Spotify (lossless) & there is a huge difference in quality between Spotify & Amazon Music HD that I can clearly hear even on my relatively cheap simple setup

David Alexander

I’ve an amp that can take up to 32 bit 300 odd KHz input. And a fire cube that apparently outputs 24 bit 192 kHz. Amazon states that some of their output is 24 bit 192 khz but I don’t think my amp, speakers or ears can tell the difference 16 bit 42 kHz upwards.
I think it would take a far better source to output set up to differentiate HD to HiRes than my equipment and ears can ever discern.
I’ll try it with some streaming vs cd input via my fairly decent headphone amp and headphones to see if this makes a difference though.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom