Is there a catch with zero sugar drinks?

zenza

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have started to cut out full fat coke and sprite and opting for coke zero and sprite zero now.

Don't like diet but don't mind zero.

I have a craving for fizzy drinks so thought these would be ok in terms of not putting on any calories.

Is this the case though or do they still make you fat?

If I was to drink a few cans of zero every day would I put on any weight providing my diet is ok?

Not necessarily likely to add weight, but I understand they can be linked to other crap symptoms due to the chemicals (according to some nutrionalists). Too late to link correctly, so will add to this tomorrow.

Why don't you drink sparkling water?

So you have a craving for fizzy drinks and want people to tell you they are fine? Either they all contain natural sweeteners (sugar) or artificial sweeteners. Or you can have fruit drinks which contain fructose, a fruit sugar.

So you have a craving for fizzy drinks and want people to tell you they are fine? Either they all contain natural sweeteners (sugar) or artificial sweeteners. Or you can have fruit drinks which contain fructose, a fruit sugar.
That's what I am trying to ascertain.
Does the artificial sweeteners result in any weight gain.

That's what I am trying to ascertain.
Does the artificial sweeteners result in any weight gain.

By the sounds of it you are addicted to sugar. Do you think you could quit fizzy drinks for say a month?

The fact that you are asking whether they will make you put on weight, maybe they might not on their own, but what is the rest of your diet like? I'm guessing if you are addicted to fizzy drinks then you have other vices too?

I'd say if someone drunk a lot of zero cokes but otherwise ate healthy, did a fair bit of exercise etc then they wouldn't put on any weight. Its the complete package you need to look at.

By the sounds of it you are addicted to sugar. Do you think you could quit fizzy drinks for say a month?

I recently had an operation which has ment I've not drank anything fizzy, including water, ate any chocolate or crisps since the 3rd June.

I thought it would be like cutting an arm off but it's been really easy. Although I guess if your having an op then you have little choice. Would I have eaten them if I wasn't having an op....yes

I am reminded of a time when I was stood behind a rather stout woman in McDonalds, she ordered half a dozen things off the menu and then finished off with "...and a diet coke".

The fact that you are asking whether they will make you put on weight, maybe they might not on their own, but what is the rest of your diet like? I'm guessing if you are addicted to fizzy drinks then you have other vices too?

I'd say if someone drunk a lot of zero cokes but otherwise ate healthy, did a fair bit of exercise etc then they wouldn't put on any weight. Its the complete package you need to look at.
No I am not addicted to sugar.

Don't like sweet things much such as cakes, chocolates, only have half a sugar in my tea. I prefer savoury to sweet.

But I do like fizzy drinks.

The substance used as a sugar substitute?...
There are a number of artificial sweeteners and the controversial Aspartame is but one of them.

Put it this way
IF you have to have flavoured, sweetened drinks (whether it be with your McDonalds or with your salad)
AND you want to reduce your calorie intake by 150-200 per drink (again - whether it be with your McDonalds or with your salad)
then you have a simple choice - drink a low calorie (i.e. artifically sweetened) drink, or go thirsty.

I suggest (until some "science" indicates otherwise) you look for a drink sweetened with Sucralose. It has a taste close to that of sugar, has no calories (because we don't metabolise it, I gather), and isn't Aspartame. That doesn't mean, of course that the web isn't riddled with tales of all manner of nasty things it will do. But then, overdosing on sugar itself will cause a myriad of ill effects, too.

There are a number of artificial sweeteners and the controversial Aspartame is but one of them.

Put it this way
IF you have to have flavoured, sweetened drinks (whether it be with your McDonalds or with your salad)
AND you want to reduce your calorie intake by 150-200 per drink (again - whether it be with your McDonalds or with your salad)
then you have a simple choice - drink a low calorie (i.e. artifically sweetened) drink, or go thirsty.

I suggest (until some "science" indicates otherwise) you look for a drink sweetened with Sucralose. It has a taste close to that of sugar, has no calories (because we don't metabolise it, I gather), and isn't Aspartame. That doesn't mean, of course that the web isn't riddled with tales of all manner of nasty things it will do. But then, overdosing on sugar itself will cause a myriad of ill effects, too.
Well according to the link posted early artificially sweetened drinks cause belly fat and make you obese.

Ah, acausal links.

Personally I would suggest you cut down or switch to other drinks rather than use diet soft drinks.
Water , Soda , green tea , even fruit smoothies.

Fruit smoothies often have a lot of fructose.

Well according to the link posted early artificially sweetened drinks cause belly fat and make you obese.
And you believe everything that's on the web - right?

I started my offering with an IF. In capitals.
IF you can do without either of the conditions then you can go "safer" (if the web garbage is all to be believed).

Me - I drink water mostly. But no doubt someone will find an article about that too.

I actually prefer carbonated water. "Carbonic Acid" is nothing more than a scientific term for Carbon Dioxide dissolved in water. Which is what the fizz is. It's not harmful, not fattening and doesn't rot teeth either.

Coconut Water, commercially widely available and tastes great......nothing unnatural at all about a coconut.

I tend to drink artificially sweetened squash. You can make it as weak as you like and you can find it without aspartame - a lot of low cal drinks are these days

I know I really should drink plain water but I find it boring so I tend to drink too little. Squash\cordial is my happy medium

Ther was a study I saw a while ago that had findings to suggest using artificial sweeteners put the body into some kind of fat storage\insulin creation mode as the sweet taste on the tongue primed the body to expect a real sugar hit. Will try and dig it out

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom