1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a big difference between the Wharfdale M5 and the SONY DVP-NS900V ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mug, Jun 27, 2002.

1. mug

mug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi

I have the Wharfdale M5 and I am thinking of upgrading to the SONY DVP-NS900V. My question is do you think there is much difference in terms of picture and sound quality between the two ?. Another question is what is so good about the so-called highend dvd players costing 1K how much better can they possibly be ?.

Thanks

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    mug,
    Your M5 has issues...(edited after corrected by clayts450). Some complaints with latest discs, Planet Of The Apes and so on.
    The Sony is completely up to date with regard to this sort of problem, it's build and long term reliability should be superior to your Sampo clone. Notwithstanding an RGB switching problem which is now corrected.(Sony says).
    The DVPNS900 has a 54Mhz video DAC, the picture is excellent, for sound quality, it depends, if you are connecting by digital cable to an A/V amp or TV, it will sound much the same as your Wharfedale. If you are using the RCA phono outputs expect sound to be clearer and better separated. SACD as a bonus.
    To answer your question about £1000 players, best try a few yourself, but I think the step to the Sony enough, unless you are using a 32" tv minimum or a projector, where the benefit is more obvious.
    Things are moving really fast around £500, so take account of specs before paying much more.

3. clayts450

clayts450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    The M5 doesn't have problems with branching (no Sampo-built players do) - are you sure you're not confusing it with the '750 ?

Mug - get yourself over to our Forums at Area 450, and in particular the Home Cinema Forum and ask the same question again. Westy, our Home Cinema Editor actually has the '900 (he rates it highly), and also owned a Wharfedale M5, so is very well placed to tell you the differences between the two. I think you'll find picture quality to be far superior on the Sony, but it really depends if you're using a top-end TV :)

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Good grief you're right (probably),
    I know my local Tesco had two big piles of Wharfedale M5s returned when POTA came out. Probably a co-incidence, it's hard to tell as there are often piles of returned Wharfedales.
    Having said that my local Sony Centre had piles of DVPNS900s returned.
    Good idea to send Mug to Area 450, I should have thought of that, used to visit it a lot before it seemed to dry up a bit, hope it's going strong...

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    clayts450,
    Just checked out your forum, it's changed much better!

6. clayts450

clayts450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Why thank you :)

The site continues to attract upwards of 1500 visitors a day : not bad for one run by a load of part-timers (used to just be me, but there's a whole crew of us working on the site now).

The plan is to start including non-Sampo budget players from the US and the UK sometime soon :)

7. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Can't comment on the M5 but i have the NS900. I upgraded from the NS700. I've recently moved house and had to plug the dvd player into a new tv. It used to be in a Sony 32FQ set and to be honest the output on RGB was very dark. The player has a few preset video options and i always ended up having to watch films on the brightest setting.

Now that I've moved house and tv... the tv is now a 28" 50 Hz phillips i can honestly say the picture from the dvd player is fantastic. THe depth of colour and strength is amazing and now i can use the video presets. They actually make sense. Hope that's of help. Oh my player when i bought it in february did have an rgb switching problem. A small fix had to be applied but its fine now.

Cheers,
    Mick