Is there a big difference between 4K HDR and 4K Ultra HD

Coldste

Novice Member
I’m looking at gettIng a new TV, every time I go to filter what I’m looking for I see two options one is 4K HDR and the other is 4K Ultra HD is there any major difference between these?

vickster

Distinguished Member
Info about HDR here

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Sounds like wherever you're looking has poor filter options.

4K is also known as Ultra HD. It's a small resolution bump to fill in the remaining gaps that Full HD didn't cover. It's has very little effect itself for typical UK screen sizes and viewing distances. Although some content sources are choosing to offer higher quality versions of their programmes for the 4K versions, not just higher resolution, which does make a more noticeable difference.

HDR is a new set of picture standards with a much bigger impact, offering a wider colour and brightness range for content creators to use.

However, there's been no single big hardware jump, just incremental improvements at the high end becoming (slightly) cheaper over time. So the HDR standards are designed to be scaled down and use whatever hardware the TV does have.

And the marketing to communicate this has been terrible. Many TVs just state they can play HDR video and say nothing about how much of the new range they can reproduce - even budget and lower mid-range TVs with identical hardware to pre-HDR TVs.

So basically those categories are not generally meaningful and you should tick both options.

Coldste

Novice Member
Sounds like wherever you're looking has poor filter options.

4K is also known as Ultra HD. It's a small resolution bump to fill in the remaining gaps that Full HD didn't cover. It's has very little effect itself for typical UK screen sizes and viewing distances. Although some content sources are choosing to offer higher quality versions of their programmes for the 4K versions, not just higher resolution, which does make a more noticeable difference.

HDR is a new set of picture standards with a much bigger impact, offering a wider colour and brightness range for content creators to use.

However, there's been no single big hardware jump, just incremental improvements at the high end becoming (slightly) cheaper over time. So the HDR standards are designed to be scaled down and use whatever hardware the TV does have.

And the marketing to communicate this has been terrible. Many TVs just state they can play HDR video and say nothing about how much of the new range they can reproduce - even budget and lower mid-range TVs with identical hardware to pre-HDR TVs.

So basically those categories are not generally meaningful and you should tick both options.
Thanks for that really helpful, it was actually the Currys website that had the filters

Attachments

• 05D001A0-5A67-4B10-A709-3ABB9AAB56AA.jpeg
    05D001A0-5A67-4B10-A709-3ABB9AAB56AA.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 35

vickster

Distinguished Member
Don’t buy from Currys :D

This guide gives you an idea of what TVs to look at, read the intro too

Neil69

I’m looking at gettIng a new TV, every time I go to filter what I’m looking for I see two options one is 4K HDR and the other is 4K Ultra HD is there any major difference between these?
4k UHD is the screen resolution of the TV. 3840×2160P. HDR is a different kettle of fish. HDR is high dynamic range. It's to do with more colours & to do with how bright & how dark it goes. HDR comes in lots of different flavours..Dolby Vision, HDR10+, HLG & regular HDR10. I hope that helps

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
As others point out 4K UHD refers to the resolution of the Display and features such as HDR add additional capabilities to the Display, those capabilities may or may not be enabled by or required by the Source content you are viewing.

Look at the capabilities of your Source device and content streams to form your ‘shopping list’ of Features you will want to support.

Joe

Not a sky fan

There’s is relatively little difference between uhd (4K same thing) and a good hd upscale picture on a decent tv. Esp on sky

so what I’m saying is, if going to the expense of buying a uhd4k tv, make damn sure it is hdr capable to avoid disappointment

hdr is a bigger step up in picture quality than the uhd standard is over hd.

So your not really buying a uhd tv your buying and hdr capable tv…. Or not at all it seems to me

Not a sky fan

Just to add, as mentioned above, the programme also needs to be hdr capable and not all are, but it appears to be on the way

… finally

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom