Is there a "best" brand LCD?

D

Dianewalker

I am totally new to all this LCD HD stuff, but as I am planning on getting a PS3 within the year I feel I need to get a new tv. I know that there are some great offers out there, at the moment I'm just gathering as much info as possible. So the question is: Is there a specific brand that outshines the rest? I only ask because my friend has just bought a 47 inch Toshiba, they originally wanted a Bravia but were advised that Toshiba was the very best make to get.

I know it all comes down to budget available and specs but I have seen some really great reviews for brands such as AOC and Hanspree- brands that I have never heard of.

So is it stick to well know brand such as Toshiba, Sony or go for the littler known Aoc and others etc?:thumbsup:

Thanks Dxx;)

lord-dudester

i wouldn't say that one brand rules on high as the king of the LCD's, unfortunately different brands and different models offer better performance in different areas.

the big hiiting names that always crop up are toshiba, smasung and sony and between these three you'll find class leading performance in most areas.

you'll find a good overall set quite easily and don't look/read into it too much, unless your a real enthusiast! you'll be tearing at strings otherwise....

D

Dianewalker

Thanks rude-dog. I've got to say it is quite hard trying to find the Perfect set. I'm quite fussy anyway and a bit of a bargain hunter-always comparing price and spec to get the best deal. Im defo gonna get one in the next couple of months-its just a matter of searching the foums and listening to you guys for reviews
Cheers:smashin:

c.jelly

Don't got for brands: Go for reviews and other peoples experiences with the sets you are interested in.

N

neilpost

i wouldn't say that one brand rules on high as the king of the LCD's, unfortunately different brands and different models offer better performance in different areas.

the big hiiting names that always crop up are toshiba, smasung and sony and between these three you'll find class leading performance in most areas.

you'll find a good overall set quite easily and don't look/read into it too much, unless your a real enthusiast! you'll be tearing at strings otherwise....

Watch out for the Prior's of Sony preaching about the Book of Origin :D

The Sony Ori need their worshippers to feed from, and they will extract a huge amount from you on blind faith only.

Gedd

Don't got for brands: Go for reviews and other peoples experiences with the sets you are interested in.

Quite right there although mainly i would say user reviews as some review site's like Cnet expect a little too much out of a product....say for instance the LCD i purchased Cnet gave it 5.9/10..... user reviews who purchased the set out of 90 users gave it nearly 5/5....IMO just because it has a well known brand name it does not mean it's any better or will last longer than a budget LCD....and from past experience ( PHILIPS ) make nice products just a shame they are not in my book as a product with reliability (2 cordless phone's, 2 cd player's, and yes the second was replacements and a 32" crt ) packed in within 1 yr TV just out of warranty...so this time thought i'd try a different brand and so far so good.....and well pleased with my huge saving.:D

Loobster

The Sony Ori need their worshippers to feed from, and they will extract a huge amount from you on blind faith only.

:rotfl:

CHFels

I am totally new to all this LCD HD stuff, but as I am planning on getting a PS3 within the year I feel I need to get a new tv. I know that there are some great offers out there, at the moment I'm just gathering as much info as possible. So the question is: Is there a specific brand that outshines the rest? I only ask because my friend has just bought a 47 inch Toshiba, they originally wanted a Bravia but were advised that Toshiba was the very best make to get.

I know it all comes down to budget available and specs but I have seen some really great reviews for brands such as AOC and Hanspree- brands that I have never heard of.

So is it stick to well know brand such as Toshiba, Sony or go for the littler known Aoc and others etc?:thumbsup:

Thanks Dxx;)

If you are fussy, stay away from the minor brands and unknown brands. And avoid the lower product lines from the big names too. Both will inevitably involve "little" omissions, PQ faults, ergonomic problems, connection issues etc . . . that will drive you crazy. For example, it's not worth it to save 200 quid and live 3 years with a remote control that is awful to use, or with constant dot crawl at the edge of the newsreader's face, or with too few HDMI inputs for your growing AV system . . . in a year's time you won't notice the absence of that 200 pounds in your bank account, but you will notice that your TV makes you grimace every evening as you sit down to watch . . .

CHFels

Yannis

When it comes to picture quality , Philips and Sony are the first which come into my mind but the first one makes very expensive and unreliable TVs (while the cheaper ones are usually rubbish) and the second one just more expensive than most of the other manufacturers. Then we go to brands with better value for money such as Sharp , Toshiba , JVC and Samsung. You don't get the best PQ (most of the times) but you also don't have to sell your house to buy a LCD screen.

Panasonic and Hitachi mainly focus in plasmas and their LCDs are usually 32 inch and below so that more or less leaves them to the outskirts of the market.

No offence to anyone about the above. That is my personal opinion only.:D

Bob Todd

Banned
When it comes to picture quality , Philips and Sony are the first which come into my mind but the first one makes very expensive and unreliable TVs (while the cheaper ones are usually rubbish) and the second one just more expensive than most of the other manufacturers. Then we go to brands with better value for money such as Toshiba , JVC and Samsung. You don't get the best PQ (most of the times) but you also don't have to sell your house to buy a LCD screen.

Panasonic and Hitachi mainly focus in plasmas and their LCDs are usually 32 inch and below so that more or less leaves them to the outskirts of the market.

the new panny 32 appears to stomp the yard:devil:

Yannis

the new panny 32 appears to stomp the yard:devil:

Yes the new 70 series are very good but Sony and Samsung are also releasing 100 Hz TVs soon with 3 HDMIs and wide color gamut.

bostones

Standard Member
If you are fussy, stay away from the minor brands and unknown brands. And avoid the lower product lines from the big names too. Both will inevitably involve "little" omissions, PQ faults, ergonomic problems, connection issues etc . . . that will drive you crazy. For example, it's not worth it to save 200 quid and live 3 years with a remote control that is awful to use, or with constant dot crawl at the edge of the newsreader's face, or with too few HDMI inputs for your growing AV system . . . in a year's time you won't notice the absence of that 200 pounds in your bank account, but you will notice that your TV makes you grimace every evening as you sit down to watch . . .

CHFels

I couldn't agree more :clap:

Tib

Hallowed are the Sony.LOL:D

Gedd

Hitachi does do a bigger than 32"....and my cheaper 37" compares to a tosh + sammy....imo none are perfect atm...did'nt give £500 for mine....so why give 2/3 hundred more just to have a different name on the front because the build is of quality and is very robust and a picture to match....could'nt have asked for anything better for the money really....it just makes me laugh when people spend a couple of hundred more extra and think their going to get something exta.....perhaps their giving away free easter eggs with them at this time of year lol....anyway well happy with my budget LCD...and that's what you call VFM:D

A

Analogue

When it comes to picture quality , Philips and Sony are the first which come into my mind but the first one makes very expensive and unreliable TVs (while the cheaper ones are usually rubbish) and the second one just more expensive than most of the other manufacturers. Then we go to brands with better value for money such as Sharp , Toshiba , JVC and Samsung. You don't get the best PQ (most of the times) but you also don't have to sell your house to buy a LCD screen.

Yannis - you quote from Greece where I am sure your experience is personal and related to local conditions. As far as I am concerned in the UK I agree firstly that on HD Sony, Philips, Toshiba, Samsung, LG, etc all deliver good Picture quality with the first two perhaps being slightly better than the rest. However for the majority of viewing for most people in the UK for the foreseeable future will be SD or upscaled SD from DVB-T (Our analogue transmitters start getting switched off later this year) or DVD or SD cable or SD satellite. Then the ranking order changes with Sony and Samsung in particular dropping well down the list. The Philips models with Pixel Plus undoubtedly handle SD DVB-T better than any other I have seen so far although I have seen excellent reports of the new Toshiba models on this forum.

The Philips (Pixel Plus without Ambilight) models can be obtained in 32" and 42" versions here at competitive prices certainly well less than Sony models. Why they do not actively market the 37" equivalent model here I do not know as I would almost certainly buy one if the price was right.

For reliability and service bothPhilips and Sony have their detractors but personally have never had a problem with the Philips ( or Panasonic or JVC) kit I have bought but have had two problems with 2 of only 3 bits of Sony kit just out of warranty ....!

PS The piece of Sony kit that never let me down was one of their first transistor radios that my father bought me back from Japan in 1957!

Yannis

Hi Analogue

Philips used to have an advantage in SD in the past with models such as 9830 but not anymore. Currently other brands such as Panasonic (70 series) and Toshiba WL68 offer similar performance for significantly less money in the 32 inch sets and Sony in the larger ones (40V2500 ,40S2530).

Philips sales are down the drain right now cause the reliability of their TVs is very bad and everyone with the slightest experience and kowlegde in AV knows that. Last time i went to a Media Markt store here in Greece i overheard a salesman say to a customer that he can't recommend a Philips LCD (32PF9551) cause they had a lot of problems. I even remember seeing in this forum that 80% of the 9731 sold in Denmark were defective (backlight problem) and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

Since i also own a Philips 32 inch CRT (among others) which had no problem for the past 4 years that i own it believe me i have nothing against Philips , i 'm just telling things as they are.

Cheers.

A

Analogue

Hi Analogue

Philips used to have an advantage in SD in the past with models such as 9830 but not anymore. Currently other brands such as Panasonic (70 series) and Toshiba WL68 offer similar performance for significantly less money in the 32 inch sets and Sony in the larger ones (40V2500 ,40S2530).

Philips sales are down the drain right now cause the reliability of their TVs is very bad and everyone with the slightest experience and kowlegde in AV knows that. Last time i went to a Media Markt store here in Greece i overheard a salesman say to a customer that he can't recommend a Philips LCD (32PF9551) cause they had a lot of problems. I even remember seeing in this forum that 80% of the 9731 sold in Denmark were defective (backlight problem) and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

Since i also own a Philips 32 inch CRT (among others) which had no problem for the past 4 years that i own it believe me i have nothing against Philips , i 'm just telling things as they are.

Cheers.

Thanks for your response but just to put a couple of things straight UK wise. I have yet to see a WL68 (here WLT68 with inbuilt DVB-T) but as I say have heard good reports. I have seen a 40V2500 Sony and was not impressed on DVB - T SD.

I can get a Philips Pixel Plus set at 32" and 42" for less than a Tosh WLT68 but are more than Tosh C3030 models which also have good SD write ups. Have not heard any outstanding reliability problems for current Philips sets supplied in UK. If anything it is LG that seem to have most reliability /customer service problem posts on this forum recently?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom