Question Is there a 55inch VA panel for £700 out there?

giggsy1950

Hi everyone! I'm a plasma guy (still rocking a Kuro) but my friend is after a new television. She's wanting a 55inch screen and I have told her that a VA panel will be best for better black levels. She has £700 max to spend (Black Friday around the corner I know!) so which models have VA panels at 55 inches? She watches in a fairly bright room but I still think VA is the way to go as she doesn't need particularly wide viewing angles. She doesn't have any 4K sources so good upscaling will be important. She needs the new screen as her old Sony LCD is on the way out. Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Hisense U8B is £599 at Richer Sounds with six year guarantee. If she wants a renowned brand then the Samsung RU8000 is £749, again from Richer.

All Hisense models use va panels so she can go cheaper again with the U7B but the U8B is an all round better option.

giggsy1950

Hisense U8B is £599 at Richer Sounds with six year guarantee. If she wants a renowned brand then the Samsung RU8000 is £749, again from Richer.

All Hisense models use va panels so she can go cheaper again with the U7B but the U8B is an all round better option.
Zeppelino - thanks for your reply. Shall take a look at both options!

giggsy1950

giggsy1950

I think she would benefit from a FALD VA panel. Not sure if they're available in 55 inches for £700 though!

giggsy1950

I'm surprised it's still available. Would definitely be worth a look though if she can stretch a bit. Thanks zeppelino!

Dodgexander

If she isn't motion-critical there's also the Panasonic GX800 at 58" but its pretty expensive for what you get.

Good TV though, its main limitation is poor HDR and motion, but it is the first budget model that can display HDR video without trouble.

giggsy1950

If she isn't motion-critical there's also the Panasonic GX800 at 58" but its pretty expensive for what you get.

Good TV though, its main limitation is poor HDR and motion, but it is the first budget model that can display HDR video without trouble.
Hi Dodge, thanks for your reply. Seen you talk a lot of sense on the forums! The 58 will be too large I suspect she'll say! She was looking at 49 to 50 until I gave her a push! Not sure I understand how the Panny has limited HDR but displays it without trouble?! 🤔

Dodgexander

Hi Dodge, thanks for your reply. Seen you talk a lot of sense on the forums! The 58 will be too large I suspect she'll say! She was looking at 49 to 50 until I gave her a push! Not sure I understand how the Panny has limited HDR but displays it without trouble?! 🤔
Typically when displaying HDR on TVs that don't have sufficient hardware to reproduce it causes problems and the Panasonic is the first "cheaper" TV to include a feature that reduces those problems.

LCDs require high peak brightness and local dimming to display HDR without problems, the Panasonic lacks these the same as any TV in its price range, but what it can do is scale down the HDR data without adverse effects like the picture being too dark or losing detail in highlights which is very common on other budget models.

Its a feature on the TV you can turn on and off when HDR is used.

giggsy1950

Thanks Dodge - that clears it up. She's looking at the Samsung UE55RU7400 as she wants a single pedestal arrangement rather than feet and also for the bezel to be black. Had a look on the Samsung website but can't see if it's a VA panel or not (I do know it's an 8 bit panel though) . I know the Panny above is. Told her we need to go see them in a reputable store and view content before she gets her credit card out.

Dodgexander

The Samsung could be either, you won't know until the TV is home unfortunately, the panel lottery they seem to continue with puts me off recommending them. At least until you reach the RU8000 or Q60R which for sure come with VA type.

I'd stick with Hisense for want of a VA type panel, both the B7500 and U7B are well reviewed and even the cheaper B7100 is probably more than good enough.

TCL also make decent budget TVs, which will also be VA type panels.

giggsy1950

Thanks again Dodge. Much appreciated!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom