1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a 36" CRT TV you would recommend to others?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Markster, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am thinking of returning my tosh 36ZP18 to JL.
    I was thinking of replacing with the Sony 36" but there now appear to be issues with this set also!!!.

All I want is a set with a great picture!!

Is there a 36" set out there that everyone is happy with and one which you would without hesitation strongly recommend to others?.

Does such a set exist?!?!

TIA

ps. Presumably there are forum moderators reading these threads, are they connected with the magazines in any way?.
    Because imo the Magazines have a lot to answer for, in terms of there reviews on the 36" sets, which fail to outline any of the problems mentioned in this group.

2. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Markster,

I can't be of much help to you but I am in the similar boat as yourself.

I have been looking around for a new 36" TV for a month or so now, but every time I think I have decided on one I hear, or read, some remark that puts me off.

Personaly I am looking at either a Panny (the PB50 or PL30) or the Sony. Some of the problems ecountered on these sets seem to be just the luck of the draw, and people just keep sending them back until they get a 'good' one. Or engineers are sent out to carry out some jiggery pokery to fix the fault(s).

This is another problem to me as I was really considering buying on the net. Purely for the cost savings. However, I am worried now that, if I am unlucky enough to get a duffer, I will not get the level of support that perhaps a store would provide in order to get the set 'fixed'.

We really shouldn't be in this sort of position. For the amount we are paying the products should be of a decent, reliable quality!

I agree about the mags. Useless really for making an informed choice.

Good luck in your persuit. I shall continue to monitor the boards and mags to see if I can finally decide on my set.

Regards

MrJubbly

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own the SONY FS70, have done for the past 6months, i must be one of the lucky ones as i have had no problem with mine.

Geometry is spot on, the colours are very natural, no staining visible, very useful features incl.....RGB set up, picture tilt, pip, pop
    and with the twin tuners last night i was watching two footie matches at the same time, sad i know, but i saw both games live.

Prices are down to approx £1700 online, thats a saving of £1000 from what was the RRP a few months back.

I did have a hitachi 36" that had progressive scan, but sonys DRC is the clear winner out the two.

Good luck...............

4. Sad Sack

Sad Sack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of buying a 36 incher and liked the look of the Tosh, having seen your thread I'm now not so sure. What's wrong with it?

5. Silva

Silva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Whats wrong with it? Have you READ the forums or LOOKED at them?

6. Iancity

Iancity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If you can afford it, don't buy over the net (some companies still price match the net) but customer service is sooo poor and you will really regret it IF your set goes wrong (mine did and I have, and I swear I will never buy anything such as a TV over the net again, least of all because my wife would kill me if I did)!!!!