Is their any difference in sound quality between the arcam CD36 and CD37?

GYRODEC1

A performance gain of 1 as you put it is hardly anything.

Even though I have never had the opportunity of compairing the two CD players. I think the Arcam CD37 is far superior in SQ.

What is the meaning of a Performance gain of 1?

adinica

Hi! As i saw in some pictures, the CD37 is heavy based on the DV139, without the video and multichannel sections. They use the same decoder, aka Zoran Vaddis 888s and even the same transport. May the new Wolfson D/AC do the difference!?
Some people told the CD36 is better sounding than DV139... :eek:

Last edited:

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
The biggest difference is that the CD37 is a stereo SACD / CD player (and has native DSD digital - analogue conversion, unlike the multichannel universal DV139), whereas the CD36 is a CD player. Whether the CD37 "sounds better" to you playing CDs is best determined by personal auditioning.

GYRODEC1

I'm also very interested to hear whether anybody has compaired the Arcam FMJ CD36 and the CD37 to hear if there is a difference or an improvement in the sound quality between the two.

I would love to own the Arcam CD37, but I'm not sure whether it would be a suitable match for my amplifiers and spks.

Wag

This may be of interest.

arcam

"In short, the CD37 sounds a lot like the CD36T, and maintains many of its great qualities. What clearly separates the two players from one another is, overall the CD37 dramatically surpasses the CD36T in all areas of audio reproduction while still maintaining its magic. "

The reviewer is however making a comparison based on memory.

GYRODEC1

Hi Wag,

Do you think the Arcam FMJ CD37 will help to bring back some excitement to my Dance and R'nB music or is it refined sounding?

Thanks

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
I suspect the CD37 would be an improvement over the CD72T you currently own, but you'll need to carry out your own auditoning with your own sources and equipment.

Comparisons with the CD36 are academic in your case, given that the CD37 is its enhanced function replacement. OTOH if you're considering getting a used CD36, the price difference makes comparisons odious.

Da Philster

Hi Wag,

Do you think the Arcam FMJ CD37 will help to bring back some excitement to my Dance and R'nB music or is it refined sounding?

Thanks

Hi the one thing my cd36 lacked was percieved bass authority,the cd37 i swapped it for has that in abundance,so given the music tastes you have it should be a winner and as you can loan one its a "no brainer" imo.:)

Stop asking questions and get one to dem at home:devil:

GYRODEC1

What is your opinion on the build quality of the new Arcam FMJ CD37?

Do you think the Arcam FMJ CD37 has for more bass than then it's predecessor?

Thanks

Wag

Hi Wag,

Thanks

I can't give you any opinion I'm afraid since I never owned a CD36, just the 37.

Da Philster and Mark Y. are right though. There is no substitute for an audition. You may well find a player from another manufacturer that you prefer.

What I can say though is that I am very pleased with my CD37.

Vipers

What is your opinion on the build quality of the new Arcam FMJ CD37?

Do you think the Arcam FMJ CD37 has for more bass than then it's predecessor?

Thanks

I can't fault the quality of the CD37, its a nice weighty unit with a nice solid purposeful feel to the buttons. For me its one of those special bits of AV kit that I wouldn't be without.

Like I've said before, I auditioned different CD players and all the top end BD players for cd playback but the CD37 was in a different league, it really does put a smile on your face when you put your favourite cd's on, its made me revisit my whole cd collection and with some of my cd's its like listening to them for the first time, you really can pick out sounds that you've never heard before. Defiantely worth an audition.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
The CD37 is as well built as I have come to expect from Arcam - and build quality was the reason I first encountered Arcam (dealer recommendation based on internal build quality).

I have not found any Arcam CD player (CD37 included) to attenuate or exaggerate the bass, nor would I expect any CD player at this price level to colour the sound in such a brutal and unforgiving manner as to falsify part of the audio frequency spectrum.

As we keep stating, you should carry out your own auditioning.

Da Philster

I have not found any Arcam CD player (CD37 included) to attenuate or exaggerate the bass, nor would I expect any CD player at this price level to colour the sound in such a brutal and unforgiving manner as to falsify part of the audio frequency spectrum.

As we keep stating, you should carry out your own auditioning.

Hi Mark whilst the arcams do not "colour" the sound to any great extent,having owned the 36 and 37 (same time briefly) the cd 37 has indeed adressed the issue of its perceived lightness in the lower mid/bass frequency.

Go and get one of each(if you can) for an a/b comparison, and you will hear excactly what some of us already have found through ownership experience.

This is however not to say the cd36 is anything but a fine player and some are selling for under £599 (2nd hand),but for me at least the direct DSD SACD, with the improved mid-range makes it one of the best players under 2K.:)

Last edited:

GYRODEC1

Hi,

After receiving advice from Arcam FMJ CD37 owners on this forum I have decided to bite the bullet and get an audition. The CD player will be used with my MF amps & Kef Spks.

I will keep you guys posted on how it went on.

Thanks guys.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Go and get one of each (if you can) for an a/b comparison ... direct DSD SACD, with the improved mid-range makes it one of the best players under 2K.
I agree completely, in the context of a stereo setup.

My problem is that with almost all classical SACDs being multichannel, and all of mine are, I don't really see the point of my upgrading the CD82 to a CD37 - or a CD36, or any other stereo audio player for that matter - the boat has sailed. Currently I am playing SACD on a universal Arcam player. I am far more interested in separating audio (multichannel SACD / CD) and video (Bluray / DVD) replay in order to achieve the best audio performance unhindered by "unnecessary" video circuitry, than investing in a device that only handles one of the two main audio formats. This applies even though I have considerably more CDs than SACDs. Or perhaps I'm just happy enough with the CD82 that replacing it isn't a high priority?

Accordingly I'm still hoping for a mulitchannel CD37-like player, for an Arcam quality version of a Sony SCD-XA9000ES.

JUS

Hope the op dosn't mind...Mark, can you give me some classical music SACD recommendations please? :)

GYRODEC1

Hi Mark,

Can you also give me some Pop and Rock SA CDs that are worth buying.

Thanks

JUS

I can do that one..not all rock & pop but popular...Pink Floyd DSOTM (£6.99 on HMV site!), David Bowie - Ziggy stardust, Depeche Mode - (all their albums but if you want one) Violator, Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks 64-71, Groove Armada - Goodbye country, The Police - Every breath you take, Simple Minds - The best of, Marvin Gaye - Forever Yours, MJ - Thriller, Nine Inch Nails - Downward Spiral...and dvd-a..The Doors - LA woman, Metallica, BB king & Eric Clapton - Riding with the king.

They are my favs :D

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Although estimates vary, there are somewhat over 3,500 classical SACDs available, ranging from mediaeval to contemporary, instrumental to opera, and everything in between. Recommending anything without any knowledge of your tastes is probably of limited value. If you could indicate what you like, perhaps I can help further. Purviewing The Super Audio CD | SA-CD | SACD Reference is of use, although given the "organization" of classical music, general browsing is quite difficult; best is to select "Composers" - Go! in the pulldown near the top right, although it's still an inadequate alternative to the use of organization.

Gyrodec: Since I don't listen to pop or rock in any format, I have no idea what is available on SACD, let alone what's worth your buying. JUS has given some tips, and The Super Audio CD | SA-CD | SACD Reference should be of assistance.

Last edited:

GYRODEC1

Thanks Mark for all your help.

Mr_Orange

Lewisimo

How much better would a CD36/37 be over a CD192?

A bit of history to give you an idea of what i'm talking about:

Started with an Arcam CD62, an Arcam A85 Amp and Mission M74 speakers (great speakers), fed by QED Silver Aniversary Biwire cable. I then upgraded my speakers to B&W 703's. While they sounded beautiful, they weren't as forward in terms of bass when compared to the Missions, which I missed...SO, I then bought a P85 to give it some more Oomph so to speak. This helped, but still wasn't quite there. I then upgraded to a cd192 and this solved my bass issues. I did think it sounded a little more 'wooly' in areas when compared to the cd62 though - perhaps it's just me. I then bought another P85 and am biamping the B&W's. The sound was full, powerful (VERY) :rotfl: and crisp also. I then upgraded my cable to Chord Epic Super Twin, along with my interconnects. Now many people will argue the toss with speaker cable, but I definitely notice a sound difference between that and the QED. Chord is a lot more bass forward, and very sharp, but a noticeable lack of midrange when compared to the QED cable. Lots of my rock/punk CD's sound almost awful when loud due to this...and when you know a track well, you really notice certain areas missing . My plans are to either swap my cable for some QED Silver Spiral Biwire Genisis, or upgrade the CD player again, but this is obviously way more expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions/advice. I'm reticent to return to the QED Silver Anniversary as although it's better in other areas, it lacks bass compared to the Chord Epic....it's a tough one! :lease:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom