1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is Theatretek worth £60-odd?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NickBull, Jan 16, 2002.

1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I nearly bought it today, but then though it's a bit on the expensive side. How much better is it than the rest?

What are it's main advantages?

2. Ken

Ken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In my opinion, yes.
    Picture quality is excellent, similar if not better than ati player, but without the hassles. Sound is by far better than ati or windvd, deeper bass, crisper highs and a much richer sound overall. Speach is certainly more intelligible.
    The interface is very easy to use, and with a pronto it can be operated without any fuss.
    The aspect ratio control and detection is fabulous, no more need for yxy, and with a bookmark for movie start, you never have to watch menus and warnings before the movie. This you set on the first viewing though.
    There as been a minor upgrade already, to address certain issues that a small minority had problems with. There is also another in the pipeline, so the potential improvements are endless. The ability to be in direct conact with a manufacturer who listens as got to be of great value.
    Once Ravisent sort out the problems with an even better set of filters I suspect that TT player will be without parallel.
    Some posts over at the immersive forum suggest that some people have problems, but for myself it has been virtually flawless.
    Hope this is of some use, I may have missed something, but I'm sure there are others who can comment.
    Ken

3. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ken,

I am sorely tempted to buy. I just want to get the best from my Barco and I shouldn't really let £60 get in the way of that.

A couple of questions if I may:-

1. How do you go about getting the upgrades, are they downloads free to TT owners, or is it a case of buying the upgrades?

2. Are the new filters dowloadable too, fo owners. Would It be better for me to wait for a few upgrades before commiting?

Thanks

Nick

4. Ken

Ken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nick
    The upgrade, or I should have said patch, is posted on the immersive forum for free download. There is another patch imminent and no charges are planned as yet. I guess a major upgrade would attract a charge, and I think the new filters were going to be free, can't remember now, must do a search. I suspect that they will be free, as they were origionally planned to be in the first release of TT, but due to some audio instability they were put on hold.
    Buying now would probably be safe, as I am sure that an extra charge so soon would not be a popular move.
    Ken

5. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Ken, I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy it. I looked at the site and you get a trial period so you can cancel it. Although I think it does cost slightly.

It's only £60, that's about the price of a moderate meal and wine for 2. And that only lasts a couple of hours!!!

Thanks for the info, I'll post my thoughts on here once I do actually commit and have a play.

Nick

6. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Nick,

I am also about to buy TheaterTek, just got to find someone that does cheap shipping, that is 'customs friendly' .

When I have bought PC parts from the USA, from private sellers, I usually get a USPS Global priority package delivered into the UK for about $5 to $10, within 5 days, with no customs, so I don't understand why USA resellers can't do something similar with TheaterTek.

If you look here, these are the charges for a package weighing up to 1 pound. These are the prices to the public, companies should get a better deal.

Does anyone feel that more people here would buy if someone did cheaper shipping that was customs friendly, and delivered in less than a week?

Mark G.

7. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Hi all
    See my post here for what I think of tt. About customs, if you ask nicely you wont have any trouble. Shipping does seem steep but as I said on the other post it cost me £66 total.
    I know this is a lot and I was happy with powerdvd but I think the improvements are worth it.
    You could always be a bit more patient and see what the other manufacturers do next. There's a new one people are playing with on the avs forums as well which you might want to look at (it's free too).

Good luck!
    Alex

8. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've bought it now. I decided that I need the stability and I think from what I've read it'll give the improvements I want.

The main problem I have is a blurring of the motion on pans and action scenes. I'm assuming that if it smooths the pans then it'll have a simillar effect on the action scenes too.

I'm happy with Windvd but I'm sure that there is a lot of room for improvement, hopefully the tt player will go some way to gaining this.

The ATI player has a slightly better picture, but It seems very juddery and not that smooth.

I'll post my findings when it turns up, but I'm expecting great things and hopefully the new Filter that is in the line will im[prove things even further.

Cheers

Nick