1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is the Z3 a good upgrade from a Panny AE500?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ellispa, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Ellispa

Ellispa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've got a Panny AE500, and am pretty happy with it, generally. Its mostly for watching films, and the odd footy match, and in a small room it does its job well.

Two things I'd prefer if I could have them would be

1. Quieter operation. Mine vents out the rear of the unit, and its shelf mounted quite high up on the wall, about 6 inches from the ceiling, and the fan is quite intrusive, and the unit does get quite hot. Something that vents out the front or sides would be better, and may allow the fan to run a little slower!

2. The blacks aren't great. Now I have magnolia walls, which probably don't help, but with black out curtains its all still a little greyer than I would like.

Would the Z3 help me out with either of these problems substantially enough to justify the £900 odd that it would cost (with a spare bulb, no less!) I'd pretty much written off upgrading the projector until the next gen of DLP units were out at about my price point (£1000-1500 at a stretch), but with the X3 going for so little, its go me thinking. At least one generation up from mine, and should be at the least quieter....

Any help or advice, greatfully received.

Cheers

Paul

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I think it will be an improvement but it's a tough call on whether that sort of outlay is worth it if your 500 is still going strong, though I suppose selling a 500 in good working order would offset the cost somewhat.

The HiDef Benq 7700 meets your price point for DLP btw...PJ :)