1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Yamaha A2 past it's best? Upgrade path

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by darkness1, Aug 13, 2005.

Tags:
  1. darkness1

darkness1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    System:
    Panny Th42pw6 With Component board
    Q4's fronts (Bi wired)
    PSW2500 Sub
    Q6C ctr
    Q compacts rears
    Toshiba SD9500 dvd player
    Arcam Alpha 6 cd player
    Pioneer DVR530H
    Yamaha A2 Amp
    QED original Bi wire speaker leads.

I guess that on a ratio i use my system 70% films/tv and 30% music.
    I've been thinking alot of upgrading the amp. Now i have a budget of around £1000.
    Now i don't no if i should go down the road of the Arcam AVR250,300 route as arcam also has
    a good repetation for stereo/music amps too. Or use the pre-out on the A2 and buy a decent
    stereo Amp like mabe a sugden A21A or music fedelity?

Any ideas or should i keep the grand in my pocket ?

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I think it all depends if your happy with your currant pound and surround processing. If you are and dont want to go to 6.1 or 7 speakers and can do without the newer surround algorithms then go for the stereo amp but use the stereo amp to do the processing for music and use the inputs on the A2 so you use the Yamaha's excellent power amps otherwise the Yamaha will be doing the music processing which defeats the point of having the stereo amp.

3. GranPremio

GranPremio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Swapped my DSP-A2 last week for a Denon 3805. Having recently bought a TH50-PHD7 I was getting naffed off with lip sync issues and wanted the audio delay, and some additional Digtal Audio Ins.... I was not however expecting a massive change in the sound quality, and have enjoyed the Yamaha for the last 5 years. Things have certainly moved on though, the 3805 is superior in every respect and the clarity and audio separation is immediately obvious. The Auto setup feature is also really neat, and will have you up and running in no time...

...hope this helps!

4. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I went from a DSP-A1 to an AX-750 :) I've had no qualms about it. The audio delay was a big factor for me, too, but I think there was an improvement in clarity.

I never listen to things very very loud, though, but if you do, the 1400/1500 or a 2400/2500 in the Yamaha range would be satisfying, I'm sure. However, if you want any sort of digital video switching, you'd probably be better off waiting a few months for some of the newer models. Although a grand would buy you the Yammy 4600, which seems to have everything. Not up on Denons, or Marantz, but the bigger Marantz's might give you an improvement in music?

5. darkness1

darkness1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I auditioned the arcam avr300 this week. Now granted they had this box hucked up to a pair of monitor
    audio gold ref connected using QED silver anniversary cable. But tbh the music did not blow me away
    from my inferior Q4's fronts with QED original and a sd9500 player with my A2.
    I have been thinking about the primare SPA21. Now this is a massive upgrade to a £2000 av amp but
    as my ratio is 70:30 to movies/tv against music mabe this will do both jobs and also i will have the option to later upgrade my cable/fronts Q4's,ctr Q6c, at a later date?