Is the XLS200 MK2 silent ( when you want it to be! )?

kevlar

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I currently have an eltac sub which hums quite a bit. It is a design fault apparently, they are all the same. I've put up with it long enough and have finally been given the go ahead to replace it :D. I'm thinking of getting the XLS200 MK2, I just want to know is it silent when it is not producing bass? I would not be happy if I ended up with another humming subwoofer. Also is there any performance difference between the forward firing/down firing models?

Thanks in advance

Kev

I've got mine in my conservatory, so it isn't set that high, but equally it isn't very far from me. I can't hear it humming if I mute my amp. However, if you've got room, get the Monolith otherwise you'll end up upgrading later like I did. :D:devil:

I've got mine in my conservatory, so it isn't set that high, but equally it isn't very far from me. I can't hear it humming if I mute my amp. However, if you've got room, get the Monolith otherwise you'll end up upgrading later like I did. :D:devil:

Thanks for the replies guys, I took a tape measure to my living room earlier, monolith is a bit too big unfortunately.

Mine's running @ 50% gain and it's silent. I can't hear it until a film explosion :D

Positioning is pretty important though - mine was silent in one spot, but when I moved it to run off the same double-socket as some other stuff in my room it had a low level, but annoying hum.

Usual rules apply I suppose - it will pick up interference if you don't think about things.

Having listened to an Eltax sub at a friend's place, the XLS200 will absolutely blow you away - it's in a different league entirely. Build and sound quality are of something a couple of hundred pounds more expensive.

Last edited:
mine is absolutely silent (when it is supposed to be ;) ) at 50% gain, no hum etc.

Thanks guys, you've given me the confidence to go ahead and order it. I'm sure I'll be amazed by its performance compared to my eltax, I've always been happy with it but as you all know if you haven't heard anything better then you don't know what you are missing.

I asked in my original post if there is any difference in performance between the FF and DF models, is there?

Also one last question, I can't fit a monolith in but the 300 would fit, how much better than the 200 is the 300?

Thanks guys, you've given me the confidence to go ahead and order it. I'm sure I'll be amazed by its performance compared to my eltax, I've always been happy with it but as you all know if you haven't heard anything better then you don't know what you are missing.

I asked in my original post if there is any difference in performance between the FF and DF models, is there?

Also one last question, I can't fit a monolith in but the 300 would fit, how much better than the 200 is the 300?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828251

I asked some of the same questions.

In the end I chose DF as it looks so much better, imo. In the flesh in black it really fits my MS balck floorstanders.

I have looked at the specs for the 300 and am unsure how it can be a huge improvement as it uses the same 10 inch speaker. Having said that it certainly has more power and I suppose there is better electronic gubbins.

im getting one now too !!!
that was a question i pondered on aswell but i am considering the B&Wasw610 tho so im still pondering away i have heard the 610 no hum ! but not the bk .

It should be noted that hums can come from more than just noisy transformers, whilst I don't doubt this is the case with the Eltax as I seem to recall Dynaudio Desire had a humming example donkeys ago.

An improperly shielded signal cable, ground loops and dirty mains can all cause unwanted hums and noise even in competent subs. Just so you know.:)

Russell

Positioning is pretty important though - mine was silent in one spot, but when I moved it to run off the same double-socket as some other stuff in my room it had a low level, but annoying hum.

That sounds like it might have been an earth-loop problem, rather than 'interference', but glad you got it sorted :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom