1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Viera worth it over a plasma monitor?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by WSH, Mar 15, 2005.

1. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I was wondering if its worth getting the new Viera TH-42PV500B or should I wait until september for the 8 series monitor? I'm coming from CRT.

-The Viera has Scart sockets. Scarts aren't meant to be any good.
    -The Viera has speakers which aren't very good.
    -The Viera seems to cost a lot more than buying a panel, JS converter, amp and speakers doesn't it?

The only advantage seems to be the internal freeview which now costs around £50 for a box.

If anyone has any comments they would be appreciated!

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Scarts provide easy connections but sadly the Panny scart board isn't that great and nor are the scart connections on the current Vieras.

The speakers are a nice simple solution for folk who don't want to fire up an AV receiver for sound to watch the news etc!! (a decent programmable remote gets over this, even my wife copes!!!).

Panels rather than all-in-ones allow you to optimise the inputs, avoid deficiencies in the "TVs" and from a calibrator's point of view are in a different league - though I haven't seen the latest version of the Viera if it is like the last version go for a panel every time.

3. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I to are upgrading froma CRT and new to Plasma's

I have been very impressed by the Viera and almost bought one but I thought I would hang off until the PV500 is released as I thought if Im spending that sort of money it has to be HD ready.

Also, I like having the all in one unit.

4. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aarrrggh! The <in>famous Scart input on Panny's. Forgot about that. :(

About to buy a 42PA50 (instead of a PWD7 or VR5 as originally planned, for reasons too long to explain here), I now remember I did see a quick "demo" of the Scart board on a PWD6 and it was just plain awful. Was 2 months ago, feels like it was yesterday. Yep, was THAT awful! :eek:

Piers, are you saying the Scart inputs on a Viera series plasma perform equally poorly? :suicide:

5. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If I did buy the PV500, I have Sky+ and a DVD, I imagined I would connect both of them to AV1 and AV4 which are RGB Scarts. Is this the best way to connect these devices?

6. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nope. As I wrote right prior to yr post :D you should want to *avoid* directly using Scart connexions on Panny's.

If your DVD has DVI or HDMi output then use that connexion - otherwise use the Component (Y,Pb,Pr) connexion plus 2 RCA's for the audio.

As for Sky+, putting my HDragon cap on :cool: I'd say get a JS Scart-to-Plasma VGA box and connect it to the VGA input on the PV500. Way nicer!

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Peezee, the VGA on vieras is on the front, that will look well tasty! The viera scarts are better than the scart connection on the panel, and anyway, the panel scart is not that bad. If yours looked so awful, the problem is that you can't tell what the demo is sending down a scart lead. RGB from sky or sky+ is just a bit soft, not completely awful. Either the lead or the signal was at fault, or they deliberately fouled it up. It's not my connection of choice though, just I wouldn't like the gentleman to think the set he is contemplating is total crap, it won't be.

8. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    OK,
    Thought I would jump in here.

When I was first in the market for a plasma, I had to consider all options, including the mrs opinion :) . I looked at both panel only options and plasma tvs. The main 2 being the pw6 and the 37" viera.

I had demos of both at av sales and decided on the viera.

MY opinons at the time were as folows.
    conections.
    The first thing that put me off of the panal only was the fact that you had to buy input boards for it seperatly. granted there are all in one swithcher options, but I have allways been of the belife that every thing should be connected seperatly. Remeber the viera comes with 3 scarts+componenet input+rf tuner(free view).

I found the picture between the two (on the ones I looked at) to be much the same.

The Viera comes with speakers( very wife freindly that! :D )

And we did not want to wall mount. I allready had a home cinema consoll in the livingroom and wanted the plasma to sit on that on a stand. I came to the conclusion that the Viera would look better than the panal.

Now, I am not saying one is better than the other, And I am also trying to be non biased (even though I own a viera) At the end of the day it comes down to what you preffer and what your requirments are, to make your choice.

Oh, and I know the Viera is not as calibration freindly as the panal only version, but it can be done (bit of a pain) but it can be done :D

9. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah the Mrs factor comes into my decision as well :D :D

10. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    More importantly for me, the new HD Vieras will be out BEFORE the panels, at a pretty amazing price (about the same as the current PHD7), and featuring (according to av-sales and panasonic germany) the new version 8 screens. And they look like they won't look quite so silly on a wall without the stand (flatter bottom edge). Who'd buy a Pioneer now?

Edit: Specs PDF now up again at av-sales:

1024 x 720 is for the 37" HD - will that look better (ie. no vertical scaling on 720p stuff)?

HD models have something called CATS (Contrast Automatic Tracking System). Is this what causes the black level changes on the existing HD panels that everyone gets ****** off about?

No VGA connector: something called a Mini D-sub 15 pin, on the rear.

Lastly, a slightly ambiguous description of the accepted signals: 750 (720)/50p, 1125 (1080)/50i. Why the brackets? Overscan?

Edit 2: Love that automatic censoring! Pee, po, belly, bum, drawers... :)

11. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I have the PW6 - mainly used for DVD and FV connected by component from an E55 DVDR . My g/f's dad has a 37" viera connected by scart, principally used for Sky sport and the occassional DVD.

Both pics are spot on and I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. I don't think it's worth getting too hung up on it unless a screen displays problems such as solarisation, funny skin tones or motion blur. Unless you are then going to be viewing other people's HD screens on a regular basis - you should get plenty of enjoyment out of it as you get used to a picture very quickly.

12. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW, I read somewhere that the VGA connector had been moved to the back panel on the new PV500 series (vs the front panel on the current Viera line). There's no mention of the PC input being on the front AV panel on the specs we have today, but _if_ that's the case then obviously it's hard to recommend to have a cable hanging 100% of the time in the front of yr screen... :rolleyes:

As for the Scart "demo" I had, they had connected a DVD player (not Sky or anything) and selected RGB input on the PWD6 - and that looked terrible. Was the DVD player at fault? Or the Scart cable? Or just that Panny monitors don't perform too well (euphemism) via Scart?
    BTW I've read more than once on this forum that the Scart input on the PW's (Panny displays) is very soft, which is also what I remember from that demo (that, and lots of jaggies, seems like an aliasing/scaling issue of some sort). In fact, more often than not the "experts" here recommend to avoid using the Scart optional board (I can probably find a post to that effect from you, MAW :D ) - with good reason, IMHO. And Piers' post above pretty much agrees with this too.

Now you're saying things ain't that bad with Scart connexions on Viera's after all - fair enough, I'll try to make my own opinion on a brand new Viera 42PA50 and will report here. Hopefully things are indeed better there than they are on PW panels, otherwise...

13. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, have a look at the PV500 specs below, the VGA input is indeed on the REAR panel as I mentioned in previous post:
    http://www.av-sales.com/plasma/panasonic-pv500-specs.pdf

So yeah, it _will_ look tasty, as in "invisible"! :D :thumbsup:

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I'm about 75% sure that's wrong.

15. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    if the vga port is on the back on the new ones then that is great news. However I knid of think that because of the simular design , the port will end up on the front again :suicide:

16. buzzby

buzzby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sure someone has already said but the viera speakers are actually very good. I am guessing you got this impression from a review.

The speakers are the worst part of this TV but this does not make them rubbish. For watching TV they are more than adiquate. I find them very good on even the music channels.

True i do have a 6.1 system for DVD's and i can believe that something would be lost if you have to watch a dvd with the sound comming out the TV speakers.

When i was doing my research i found the VIERA cheaper than buying all the components seperate, It also means less cableing.

I get a fantstic picture through scart on my xbox and even better thorugh the component conection on my dvd player.

just buy one

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Peezee, I didn't finish answering you cos I only saw the 2nd post. On a PW6/7 you can label the inputs whatever the hell you want, just cos it came up RGB does not mean that was the signal. you can call the scart board component if you want to. I always label my scarts RGB as well, unless I know it's going to be s-video.

18. thegooseman

thegooseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I think youll find that the pw8 is out in october (so they say)
    :lesson:

19. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, didn't know that MAW, but kinda' doubt those folks at the Panashop had gone thru the hassle of labelling the inputs... well, guess that's always a possibility, but I seem to remember the guy forcing the DVD player to output to RGB anyway, in fact maybe it wasn't the Panasonic indication I saw on screen, but the DVD player's...

Anyhow, as promised earlier on I'd like to report that the Scart RGB inputs on the 42PA50 are not at all as bad as they seemed to be on the PWD6 - however this was tested under sub-optimal conditions: all we had to play with was an entry level Pioneer DVD, and the picture was equally mediocre on S-Video, Component, or Scart RGB output.. In fact via Scart the pic did look softer, some jaggies showed up, maybe a tad more solarization (not sure though) - but not nearly as bad as my recollection from the PWD6 Scart RGB connexion trial 2 months ago...

That mediocre picture on the 42PA50 had me puzzled first, and then quite mad after spending half hour fiddling with the <very few> picture controls, to no avail! :mad: Washed out colours, solarization on a regular basis, and motion... OMG, as soon as a bit of something was moving, I mean even the tiniest motion, the edges turned magenta and flashy white, with a mixture of blurr, stuttering, and the like... Oh the headache!! :thumbsdow

Luckily, while I was about to give up, thinking "this PA50 is that bad, s'thing's gotta be wrong here" the shop "chef" (super nice and knowledgeable lad) found another DVD player, actually an EVD direct from China :eek: Connected it via Component, inserted the I,Robot DVD, pushed the Play button, and... YESSS! Ze "Panasonic picture", very similar to what I was able to get on a PWD7 via VGA (with my powerbook DVD as the source) - and I'm sure there's still room for improvement with a high qual. DVD player... Well, needless to say I felt quite a big relief...

... and ended up purchasing one TH-42PA50 today! :clap: :thumbsup:

Delivery tomorrow evng, 2200€ (1530£) with base stand, 2 yrs in-home parts&labour warranty, delivery/install included - that and extremely competent and serviceable folks at the Panashop. Great deal I think! :cool:

Only took me a year to select the one... for the next 12 months or so :eek:, after which I'll probably want to swap with whatever will be the best VFM HD display then! :)

20. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Many congratulations, mate, I'm sure you will be happy with it.

21. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,075
    I didn’t realise the new vieras were out yet? :confused:

22. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot MAW, I'm pretty sure I will! ;)

And BTW I'll add that, much to my own surprise, after going thru an extensive and at times ferocious debate with myself :D I ended up following one of yr advices, which is essentially "get the plasma with the picture you like for today's environment/sources and just ENJOY IT NOW! - you'll worry about the future later".

As silly as it might sound, it took me quite some time to realise that "the future is just not quite here yet"... And by the time it really is, we'll have much more choice for "HD Ready" flat screens, with higher quality and at <much> lower prices anyway... :smashin:

One last thing: for those of you considering the purchase of a PA30 plasma, you might want to have a look at the PA50's (well, PE50B's in the UK). Less features yes (no SD or PCCard slot, no VGA input (this one a little bothering, but gives me an opp. to u/g my g.a., good for my library of HD clips/trailers ;) )), but newer and slicker design and glass, all the key functions and inputs there for the usual TV/DVD viewing, a stunning picture with HD and SD sources, and last but not least support for all HDTV formats via Component: 720p50/60 and 1080i50/60 -s'thing the current crop of Viera's do NOT have. And I feel this might prove very useful by some time next year... :)

23. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    From reading Peezee's posts I guess the PE50 standard def Vieras are now available. However, from reading your other posts I thought you wanted to upgrade to the high def PV500 Vieras and I am pretty sure that these are not available yet.

S.

24. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,075
    All the details are up on the Panny Europe site! Click here.

They also have their flash showcase on the main home page. Check it out! :)