1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Velodyne CHT 10 a Rel Q100E beater?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by tee, Jun 24, 2003.

1. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Simple question :)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The only people that can answer that are those that have heard both and I don't suppose that there are many around.

The Q100 was a brilliant sub in it's day (5/6 years ago) and had five star reviews in every magazine.

As has said since, it seemed to have been the pinnacle of REL's achievements in their Q range with the replacements a step backwards.

Unfortunately I am not one of the few people who have heard both as I haven't heard the Velodyne offering so can't give you an opinion.

In view of the large number of people that have bought a CHT10 through the Power Buys, doesn't one live close enough to you so that you can listen for yourself ?

3. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    You're right, listening to a CHT-10 would be perfect. I have a Rel Q100 and am in no doubt that it is a quailty sub but I get the feeling that it lacks the oomph that the Velodyne delivers judging by what I've read on these forums

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I live in Aldershot- Your welcome to have a listen to mine if it's not too far to come.

5. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks for the offer mate :)

My mate works in Aldershot and lives in Farnham so I could well be in your area at some point soon....... If I am I will give you a shout.

To be honest after to speaking to a couple of people, and assuming I can get rid of my Q100E, I think I will get a CHT-10 anyway!

Thanks again for the offer though

Cheers

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wasn't the 100E specs 20hz +/- 3dB? The Velodyne CHT-10 is 28hz +/- 3dB

Rel 100E is a 12" driver, Velo is 10"

Velo has 50W higher amp though.

7. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I am not very technical.... what are you trying to say?

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Rel has a bigger driver- 2" bigger
    Velodyne has 50W more power
    If the specs are correct, Rel Q100 goes lower by 8hz.

9. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I think Nathans trying to say the Rel has a larger driver and goes lower than the CHT-10 and therefore could be considered to have a better spec.
    It's all well and good comparing specs , but , it's how each sounds imo. I've not heard the 100e so I don't know how it compares to the CHT-10.
    All I can say is that since I purchase mine fron Uncle Eric (excellent service given by the way) a while back it's coped admirably with everything I've thrown at it. I bought it blind initially like your possibly going to do and have'nt regretted it. I have since also had the oportunity to compare it with the rel quake. The quake was ok but not as bollock rupturingly good as the velodyn with movies or music. Still it's all objective and best to have a listen yourself and make your own mind up.

10. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Unfortunately the Q100's 20Hz spec is "in room" and the CHT10's 28Hz spec is "anechoic" - in short, the REL takes room loading into account and the Velodyne doesn't so you can't really compare the figures. Having said that, on an equal standing I wouldn't expect there to be much between their figures.

Performance wise, a person who is very familiar with both subs (Uncle E) told me that the CHT10 betters the Q100 but not by much.

Matt.

11. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I have friends with the Q100E, and the CHT-10...

I have not been able to do a side by side of the pair, but can give some general impressions.. I helped them (made coffee) setup their systems, since I leant them an SPL meter...

The CHT-10 and REL sound very dissimilar, the CHT-10 is a paragon of control, but the REL creates more of a sense of scale/depth...possibly due to the bigger driver.. or its frequency response..

You would have to listen to them yourself, as I believe only you will know which suits you best...

I got the Mission M5AS for £350 which is CHT-10 money, and has all the control of teh CHT-10 for music, but has twice the depth and atmosphere of the REL... it's specs say 28-150Hz (similar to the CHT-10), but as the reviews say "Its capable of fear register lows"... OK not HGS18 or SVS territory, but it is definitely in the 'feel the movie' category...

12. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks for the useful information mate :)

Both subs are obviously going to be quality, I mean, I have the Rel and it's a great sub. But which one would you say is more impressive when it comes to the big action set-pieces? You know what I mean, right? Which one made you drop your jaw the most when watching the tank sequence in private Ryan DTS or the Ice Fields sequence in Titan A.E??

Cheers

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO I would not replace the Rel Q100E with the CHT-10 (or vice versa), I would save up for the CHT-15, Servo 15, SVS PC Plus, etc etc.

I can't understand why anyone would sell a good sub, and replace with a similar level subwoofer.

14. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I have to admit, the more people are saying the difference may be minimal, the more I'm thinking the same thing. The thing is, if I do see an improvement, and I sell my Rel, the "upgrade" will cost me under £100. If I bought a new sub from a higher catagory in terms of quality it'll cost me a lot more!

15. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And if it sounds the same? £100 for no improvement.

16. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    That is exactly why Im debating it......

17. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    I had 5 Q100Es running in my setup at one point.
    I was very impressed. Thing is though that a lot of people want 'punch' from their subwoofer. Subs shouldn't provide punch, they should provide depth. And that's what the Q100e did in spades. Your main speakers should provide punch at the mid-bass frequencies.
    Oh and Q100Es being bullet proof, it should be sounding as good now as ever it did.