Is the v+ box a better picture than a normal virginbox?

malk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello there,should there be a difference between the pictures on a samsung virgin box running scart (through an adapter)to my 606,than hdmi on a v+ to my 606,just on normal channels like bbc1,as i understand it,the scart is not as good as an hdmi connection,so im thinking that hdmi would produce a better piccy.im asking this because,im not using a v+ box anymore and using a samsung smt 2110c,and the picture looks quite shocking,is it the box?or is it my eyes/is it my telly?

Connecting a Virgin V+ via a HDMI lead directly to the tv gives a much better picture in my opinion. It is generally accepted that the upscaling ability of the Scientific Atlanta box gives really good results on many channels, including BBC,Chan 4 and Chan 5. I'm using it with a Sony 32" 4000W series. I've seen worse pictures, in some cases, on Sky HD channels.

Connecting a Virgin V+ via a HDMI lead directly to the tv gives a much better picture in my opinion. It is generally accepted that the upscaling ability of the Scientific Atlanta box gives really good results on many channels, including BBC,Chan 4 and Chan 5. I'm using it with a Sony 32" 4000W series. I've seen worse pictures, in some cases, on Sky HD channels.

What setting have you got for the HDMI output, ie 1080i or 720p etc or is the TV doing the upscaling

Having recently switched from standard to a V+ box I'd say the general consensus that the SD picture quality is a slight improvement. I'm comparing the V box via scart versus the V+ via hdmi to the same tv. I'm using the 1080i wide setting to a full HD Sony.

I moved from the standard Virgin box to a V+ box in December last year and I noticed a big improvement in the picture quality. My V+ box does the scaling (very well) and outputs 1080i directly to my plasma.
Well worth the upgrade in my opinion. :)

Yea,thats what i thought.Also,does the hdmi,help the picture to be better than scart,as its digital,virgin sends out digital,the box picks up digital,then the hdmi sends the digital piccy to the telly,whereas the scart would break that chain by being analogue,so the box sends out a digital piccy,then the scart transmits analogue thus losing certain qualitys,then the telly has to turn it digital again.
Is that the difference??

Yea,thats what i thought.Also,does the hdmi,help the picture to be better than scart,as its digital,virgin sends out digital,the box picks up digital,then the hdmi sends the digital piccy to the telly,whereas the scart would break that chain by being analogue,so the box sends out a digital piccy,then the scart transmits analogue thus losing certain qualitys,then the telly has to turn it digital again.
Is that the difference??

I would imagine that end to end digital connection of HDMI is part of the reason that the picture from V+ is better, plus the fact that the V+ box is regarded to have a good scaler to 1080i in it as well.

Its no good,,,,i cant go on with the sammy box,im going to have to get another v+!!!!
Damn this televisual snobbery!!!

Its no good,,,,i cant go on with the sammy box,im going to have to get another v+!!!!
Damn this televisual snobbery!!!

Rumour has it, that V+ current have a new V+ box doing trials right now, to replace the current Scientific Atlanta model.
You might want to hold fire for a few months if this is true. :) Anyway, there is not much wrong with the SA box apart from slow EPG but you get used to it after a while.

Rumour has it, that V+ current have a new V+ box doing trials right now, to replace the current Scientific Atlanta model.
You might want to hold fire for a few months if this is true. :) Anyway, there is not much wrong with the SA box apart from slow EPG but you get used to it after a while.

I might be inclined to take the opposite view and get a SA box now rather than wait for the new Samsung built V+ replacement. The newer box looks to be like a price reduction version which will benefit VM , but not their customers in terms of improved spec - it will still have only 160GB HD for instance - from what I've gleaned form various forums

I might be inclined to take the opposite view and get a SA box now rather than wait for the new Samsung built V+ replacement. The newer box looks to be like a price reduction version which will benefit VM , but not their customers in terms of improved spec - it will still have only 160GB HD for instance - from what I've gleaned form various forums

I'm inclined to agree from the, admitedly limited, specs made available to date.

Mike - you're right - the most direct path is likely to give the best results but don't forget that the AVR doesn't have to provide any scaling if so desired. It can simply pass the signal through from the V+. I've done simple A/B comparisons on my setup and observed no noticeable drop-off in performance routing the HDMI video through the AVR. My normal viewing distance is 7' away from a 42" screen.

HTH

Mike - you're right - the most direct path is likely to give the best results but don't forget that the AVR doesn't have to provide any scaling if so desired. It can simply pass the signal through from the V+. I've done simple A/B comparisons on my setup and observed no noticeable drop-off in performance routing the HDMI video through the AVR. My normal viewing distance is 7' away from a 42" screen.

HTH

ive got my 606 on "through",so thats not doing any upscaling for the v+ box,even trying to upscale the standard v box trying to use the 606,the picture is so annoying,compared to v+.
i know that the upscaler on the 606 is not too hot,ive even plugged the scart into the t v,to cut out the 606,and its not doing it for me.im sacking the sammy.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom