1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the use of 6ch input better?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by isko, Sep 4, 2004.

1. isko

isko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an AV receiver (Yamaha 740) which has 6chanel extra input jacks. These jacks can be used for discrete multi-chanel input from a source, for instance DVD/SACD player. When this 6chanel is used, receiver automatically turns off the digital sound field processor. From the musical point of view I haven't understood the superiority of 6chanel comparing with the processor. Any idea or explanation that simply I may understand? :thumbsup:

2. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends what source you are sending it. If it's SACD multichannel then you don't have much choice (same for DVD Audio) as the signals are output from the player in analogue form.

Normal DVD use tends to sound better when you feed the signal digitally to an AV amp as you're using it's onboard decoding and processing which gives you complete control over channel levels, delay times and bass management.

Most amps, apart from a select few, don't give you any option of using these when you connect via the 6ch input and are reliant on the bass management, delay times and speaker setup options in the player. Not all players offer the same flexibility and control as an AV amp would.

By all means use it if the DVD player has far superior DAC's and if it offers better surround sound decoding, bass management etc.

When using the 6ch input the analogue signal is passed straight through and amplified and doesn't undergo any further analogue to digital to analogue conversion. The result should be better sound quality in theory. In practice, how good it sounds will come down to the factors I mentioned before (DAC's etc).