Is the UK 2.7 firmware here already?

tdm34

Established Member
Reaction score
My Xe1 was updated to 2.5 when that firmware was launched

Thought i'd just check to see if anything was available, so went to the maintenance screen it confimed that my firmware is 2.5, but just out of curiosity I selected update (normally it just says "latest firmware uploaded ")
Guess what? this time it didn't and at this very moment it's updating!!!
I'll let it run it's course and report back but fingers crossed!!!!

Maybe Toshiba have snook it upon us on the quiet.

Regards Rob............................:thumbsup:

My Xe1 was updated to 2.5 when that firmware was launched

Thought i'd just check to see if anything was available, so went to the maintenance screen it confimed that my firmware is 2.5, but just out of curiosity I selected update (normally it just says "latest firmware uploaded ")
Guess what? this time it didn't and at this very moment it's updating!!!
I'll let it run it's course and report back but fingers crossed!!!!

Maybe Toshiba have snook it upon us on the quiet.

Regards Rob............................:thumbsup:

Cheers mate! :)
I'll look forward to what you find out. :smashin:

It's done the download but it's now 2.7 woo-hoo!!!!!!!!

Perfect lipsync, perfect, HDMI handshaking Dolby Digital plus , Dolby HD,
and DTS-HD master audio confirmed by playing T2

Toshiba thank you

Regards Rob........................:clap::clap::clap::clap:

My EP-10 is DL an update as off now - Anyone have details of what 2.7 does for the EP-10?

Regards
Peter

Welcome to the "2.7 club" :smashin:

Our first official UK member! :thumbsup:

I would think the EP10 will get the same updates as the Xe1

regards Rob...........................

Toshiba thank you

Cheers for that:thumbsup: I'll update later.

Interesting ................. I just tried to update my US 2.7 firmware XE1 to the Official UK 2.7 firmware via internet connection.

It reported that an update T2.7 was available, do I want do update. I selected yes and it then reported that the upgrade had already been installed.

An indication perhaps that the US XA2 2.7 and UK XE1 2.7 firmwares are indeed identical?

Havnt noticed any nasties with this update. Tried Hd dvds and sd dvds, no lipsync errors.

Regards

John.

Interesting ................. I just tried to update my US 2.7 firmware XE1 to the Official UK 2.7 firmware via internet connection.

It reported that an update T2.7 was available, do I want do update. I selected yes and it then reported that the upgrade had already been installed.

An indication perhaps that the US XA2 2.7 and UK XE1 2.7 firmwares are indeed identical?

You're right there, when I tried to update I got this message:

The software has already been updated.
The update process will end.

Great stuff!
:thumbsup:

Hopefully, this means that we will be able to update to future official UK XE1 firmwares (V2.8 forced 1080p/24 output perhaps?) without any problems!

Apparently forced update will never happen unless the studios decide to flag the disc main presentation as such. This has been stated on here.

I doubted it, but just talked to an old mate in the US (works for Oracle in a senior position) and this is apparently true.

She said 1080p 24 was an unforeseen add on????????

Seems to me that HD DVD has been caught on this one:(

Beyond my area of knowledge, so who knows.

Toshiba thank you

Hi tdm34 :)
Cheers for the heads up,mate! :smashin:
Updating now...........

How can you be certain if your player was trying to upgrade from the US or the UK internet servers ? If there is a emthod of checking I'd very much like to know how to do it.

If having loaded the USX A2 2.7 sets the player up to reference the US servers then you would expect to see a message tellling you that the update had already been installed, so I'm not certain that this really tells us that the two firmware versions are exactly the same.

Although I agree it seems to be a very strong possibility that there is now just a single unified version.

How can you be certain if your player was trying to upgrade from the US or the UK internet servers ? If there is a emthod of checking I'd very much like to know how to do it.

Hi mate :)
We can't download from the US servers,only the UK.

Apparently forced update will never happen unless the studios decide to flag the disc main presentation as such. This has been stated on here.

I doubted it, but just talked to an old mate in the US (works for Oracle in a senior position) and this is apparently true.

I know that its been stated on the forums that a forced 24P mode will not appear until the studios build in support for it on individual disks.
However the reasons to backup such a view seemed to me to be rather wooly. Or at least I could not see a firm basis for such a view (my appologies though if I have missed something).

I also don't wish to denegrate you old friends view / feedback and can imagine that she knows a great deal about databases given his employeer but does it follow that he is anymore in the know as regards the in's and out's of 24P processing in HD-DVD ?

I'm intruigued by the statement that 1080p 24 was an unforeseen add on.
Seems incredibly unlikely to me that this is the case. Its been part of the HD-DVD standard from the start. Afterall someone decided that they would author the disks in 1080p 24, so it would logicaly follow that they would think that they would eventualy like to pull this information straight off the disk at some point rather than having to frame rate convert all the time.

Lets face it 1080p 24 has been the holy grail of the display industry for a long time, so I really doubt that its an afterthought.
I could however see how someone may build it into a standards spec before they had fully worked out how to implement it at a detailed level.

So I'm not convinced that this is a major big deal to implement.
Afterall the players can now output 1080p 24 and when set to do so can detect (sometimes incorrectly based on the displays EDID) when a display device cant accept 24p and drop back to the next lowest option. How difficult can it be to implement some code that stops the player from falling back ?

Maybe there is something in the spec that makes this more difficult than I can imagine. Would love to see the HD-DVD specification.

Hi jackal :)
Robert from AVS,says FORCED 24fps will be on the next update!. :)
I don't need it myself,but if anyone does i hope he's right...................and he does seem to be right quite a lot.

Hi :)
Just updated the UK 2.7 firmware and everything went smooth! :D
Here's a pic of the new option,please don't collapse with excitement.
I'm off to test how TrueHD sounds sent Bitstream...................oh wait,i need a new receiver. :rolleyes:
Cheers.
mode.jpg

Hi :)
Just tested some HD dvd and can confirm 1080p/24 now works flawlessly. :smashin:

I just tried to update my XE1, that has the australian region free 2.501 firmware on it.

I got a message saying that the software was up to date.

So it does look as though the australian firmware is set to look for updates on a different server to the european one.

Guess I'll wait until the ISO is downloadable.

I am going to update my XE1 with 2.7 , but doesn't have the australian region free 2.501 firmware on it. can i still do that later after i have done 2.7 or will it not let me and i should do it before 2.7?
thanks

I am going to update my XE1 with 2.7 , but doesn't have the australian region free 2.501 firmware on it. can i still do that later after i have done 2.7 or will it not let me and i should do it before 2.7?
thanks

Hi mate :)
I would have thought you would have to do it before 2.7.

I just tried to update my XE1, that has the australian region free 2.501 firmware on it.

I got a message saying that the software was up to date.

So it does look as though the australian firmware is set to look for updates on a different server to the european one.

Guess I'll wait until the ISO is downloadable.

You could install the US version right now, or wait for the ISO to be downloadable.

What is interesting is that the Australian region free 2.501 firmware, region freeing is maintained AFTER people installed 2.7. This would indicate that this firmware, different to normal Toshibe releases, writes in a part of the firmware that does not normally get changed.

It will be interesting to see if those who used the US version of 2.7, now get their firmware updates from the US server (and we will know this if the update is available sooner than in the UK), or still from the UK server, because the normal firmwares do not change this bit for the firmware.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom