Is the time right?

The Jayler

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Samsung SP46LX6 DLP set and am thinking of upgrading to a plasma.
I want to do this as it is too big for our room, we sit about 7 feet away and so want a 42'' screen.
I don't like (and neither does the missus) the motion blurring i have seen on LCD screens.
I also want something a little future proof, so would like a 1080p set as i will be buying a HD/bluray as soon as i can. Is this important/noticable on a 42' set?
If i can sell my current set for around £500, then i have about £1000 may be a little more.
I have a PVR, upscaling dvd player, xbox 360 and Wii to put through it.
Any recommendations please?

I think the Panasonic PZ700 is the only pure full HD 42" panel at the moment (I think the PZ70 is processed?). If you can wait, presumably Pioneer will be releasing a full HD 42" Kuro soon, but it'll be expensive!

Petrov.

Not much point with 1080P at 42" by most people's accounts. Don't think they even broadcast at 1080P yet but may be wrong.

Is it? I thought it had a 720p display.
I like the look of that panel.

The Panny PZ's are 1080 sets and yes they do a 42". Pioneer will not be.

You are going to find it difficult to tell the difference between 720 & 1080 on a 42" set, its not clear cut on a 50" either unless you are sitting at the point that you can make out pixel structure.

Even on a 1080p set it is hard to see any difference between a 1080i signal and a 1080p one.

1080 really strats to make a difference form 60" up and if you do the maths 70", at 42" unless you sit 12 to 24 inches away it is unlikely going to see any difference.

But go see for yourself.

Its the end result that counts not just resolution, colour, scalling, grey scale and contrast ratio are more importnat than resolution.

I thought that was the case. Given that i really can't see the demand for 1080p sets of a 'regular' size being of high demand.
Any recommendations for panels. I'm tempted by the Panny 70 series. I've seen this up and running and liked the picture but not sure how it compaires to the Pio 43 8 gen. Is there much in it, i prefer the design of the Pioneer.

I thought that was the case. Given that i really can't see the demand for 1080p sets of a 'regular' size being of high demand.
Any recommendations for panels. I'm tempted by the Panny 70 series. I've seen this up and running and liked the picture but not sure how it compaires to the Pio 43 8 gen. Is there much in it, i prefer the design of the Pioneer.

Either will be fine, you have to judge, but you can see where my vote is.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom