1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the time right for Plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by John G, Jul 6, 2002.

1. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have been saving for ages,promising to treat myself to a Plasma display.However,is the time right to take the plunge or has Plasma technology still a long way to go?
    There seems to be new models released every week and I am totally confused.I have only seen a couple of displays up and running and both seemed to have problems coping with fast moving images.
    Could somebody put my mind at ease.Do it now or wait?
    Regards,John

2. kmt

kmt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes John this is the right time to buy a plasma, there will always be something better in quality and price, but that applies to most things, if you have a budget of £1200 - £1500 you should not have a problem in buying a good quality plasma, the panasonic TH42PW7B is reanonalbly priced, and you are buying quality.and there are not any prob's with fast moving images,

kmt

3. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    kmt where u finding all these old threads :confused: U seem to be in a time warp mate.....July 2002 :rolleyes:

4. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I liked the "Yes John" initiation

5. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I think the time is almost right, but maybe not for another 3 to 6 months. Here is my thinking.....

I want a new TV now and I mostly watch broadcast TV via Sky. My un-informed suspicion is that high definition won't be something I have for at least another 3 if not 5 years. Sky are a year away from launching it and it'll be at least another 2 years after that until the price premium is reasonable and there is a worthwhile amount of content on it. This means that the TV I buy today only needs to do standard definition well, it is my TV after that which needs to do HD.

Right now plasmas like the Panny 7 series do an excellent job of displaying SD pictures and I would be perfectly happy to have one in my living room. I have also looked at LCD and, although there are some pretty good ones in smaller sizes, I just don't think they cut it yet at the 42" level and, even if they did, they are a lot more expensive than a plasma. I think my HD TV in 3-5 years time will probably be LCD or a related technology and not plasma, but right now plasma is the best 42" choice in my opinion.

So why do I say that the best time might be in 3 to 6 months? Well, again un-informed guesswork, but I can't believe that once Panny start shipping their new HD panels at prices that are very similar to the prices for their current SD models, that this won't have a big effect on the 7 series prices as dealers try to clear stock. I know I want a 7 series panel and I think that in the next 3 - 6 months they're going to be an even bigger bargain than they are now.

- Julian

P.S. Just to show you how sad I am, tonight I made a nice Panny 7 series out of pieces of A4 paper and it now has pride of place hanging above my fireplace. In case anyone thinks I've totally lost it, I just cellotaped together a 1020mm x 620mm square of paper and coloured in a really rough black border around the edge so that I could stick it on the wall and check that I'm OK with the size, height and other positioning before actually making a purchase. I'm not sure if I have the discipline to follow my own advice and wait 3 months!

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    well at least somebody replied after nearly 3 years *lol* poor old john g, I bet he's held back from buying until now :)

7. GiZZeRR

GiZZeRR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I would not have thought to check the date :eek:
    Classic

8. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ROFLMMAO @ the date bit!!!!

brillia :thumbsup: nt!!!

9. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I wonder if 2002 was the right time to buy a plasma then :D would that have been the era of the PW4 or PW5 then?

S.

10. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes John...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

11. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    :)

What's even funnier is that if you check John G's signature via Profile, he's already got a Panasonic 42PWD4 !

Del :rotfl: :rotfl:

12. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There is never the right time to buy, it's up to YOU and your wallet.